PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tie Down Locations

scottysheppard
May 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Just bought a 16 foot flat bed trailer and need to know where to hook up the tie downs on the car. Front will probably be around the lower A-arms and crossed to the trailer hooks. It's the rears I'm not so sure about (Jag rear end of course). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

dmswann
May 4th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I purschased a set of tie downs that loop through the wheels. They are padded which prevents any damage to finish of the wheels. They work great and are very each to install and uninstall. I just got on the internet and found them. They were relatively in-expensive.....around $20 for four.

weaver
May 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I use the lower arms in the rear also, cross them too.

davebetts
May 6th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have four, closed hooks, looks like the end of an alxe strap, bolted right to the 2" x 4" frame. I reach under with a web racket - catch one hook to the floor tie down and the other to the installed chassis hook, all four corners. Just tighten and go. Don't look pretty, but it makes trailering real quick/secure and easy. I never liked squeezing down on suspension parts, like alxes or a-frames.
That's my 2 cents.

arrowdriver
May 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
When tying down any car on a trailer I prefer to tie to the suspension rather than the body or frame so that movement of the car on its suspension doesn't jerk on the straps. Crossing the straps is also a good idea to minimize any tendency for the car to work its way to one side.