PDA

View Full Version : Headlight removal

Tony Radford
July 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I'm trying to strip some parts off the car before she goes into the body shop and I'm held up at the headlights. What's the secret to getting them off? It looks like a simple task once the outer chrome rim is removed, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove them. There are two small holes at the bottom, but they appear to be just that - holes. Guidance would be most appreciated.

TurnpikeBoy
July 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
The light itself is held to the plastic bucket by 3 small sheet metal screws and a chromed trim ring. If you look at the ring edge, you will find the screws. Just back 'em out and you've got it. The bucket itself is held in by screws into the body.

Tony Radford
July 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I've scanned the trim rings and there aren't any holes in the outter edge. Just two at the bottom a couple of inches apart - a tiny one and another 1/8th inch or so. But there's nothing in the holes like set screws or the such. They don't seem to want to twist off, but maybe I should try harder.

TurnpikeBoy
July 10th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Tony, the outer chrome trim ring has a single small screw thru the ring down around the 5:00 position - once this is removed, pull the ring from the lower edge and it will pop off the plastic bucket that hods it into place.

From there, the light itself is held with another trim ring that has the aforementioned 3 screws.

Tony Radford
July 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks, but there weren't any screws. They did spin off after I put a little umph into it. It looks like I'll have to cut the three wires to the lamp plug to get the bucket out. Since all three wires look the same, I think I'll install a three pole splice instead of adding crimp butt splices.

What about the wipers? That disassembly doesn't look obvious either. I loosened the 7/8" collar nuts, but nothing gets loose. Do I need to do some yanking? At least the windshield, studs and mirrors look pretty straight forward. Damn that parked pickup truck.

TurnpikeBoy
July 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
You can either cut them or try to push them out thru the rubber bellows on the back of the bucket. It is a tight fit but they'll go.

Wipers are a b*tch - after the collar comes off you may have to do some wiggle work to get the collar off the wiper drive stud. The drive cable assembly inside the car is screwed down to the body so the drive stud probably won't move until you remove those screws.

Good luck, bro. Damn sorry to hear about that truck.....

Tony Radford
July 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM
OK headlights, running lights and quick jacks are off. I may leave the chrome collar on the car. At that point, it's just clearcoat. How does the wiper arm come off the shaft. Do I just pull it off of is there a secret catch somewhere?

TurnpikeBoy
July 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Pretty much they're just a snug fit to the shaft. Might be a small spring that presses against the shaft to hold 'em on too. Either way, take a couple of wide-blade screwdrivers and gently pry them off, a bit at a time, going side to side. Use the collar nuts as the pry base.

Tony Radford
July 11th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks TB, worked great. She's all stripped down and ready for prep/paint. I installed removable splice fittings for the headlights and running lights. Atleast reassembly will be slightly easier. To think, I'll have no gravel dings for a day or two. Whoopee!

Slither
July 12th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Was there a change at some point in the way the headlights were attached/assembled? If so, when was it?

spd4me
July 13th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Tony - One thing I did when I got car back from painter was sprayed each wheel well with a can of black undercoat to give a little more protection from small rocks and squirrels. If you do it after the fact, just be sure you tape and cover all the areas you don't want covered like the frame and color coat.
Bob

Tony Radford
July 15th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Paul, that hole in the ring at 6:00 might take a screw, but there wasn't one installed on either side. I had to twist pretty hard to screw them off.

TurnpikeBoy
July 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Tony - they don't screw on, they kinda snap on. And when re-installing, start with putting the top edge on first then snapping the bottom into place. Removal is reversed - yank the bottom out first, then pull off the top. Make sure when you put 'em back on that the ring is about flush with the body - that way you've got it to the edge of the headlight bucket enough for it to catch the molded-in lip that holds the ring.

And don't forget to put in that little screw, since it's so necessary to hold the ring. :)

-Roger

RJacobsen
July 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Paul, that hole in the ring at 6:00 might take a screw, but there wasn't one installed on either side. I had to twist pretty hard to screw them off.

Tony, you said earlier that there were two small holes at the bottom of the trim rings, one of them is a drain hole and the other should accept a screw to hold the ring in place on the plastic headlight bucket. look for a screw boss on the headlight bucket that lines up with the hole in the trim ring. the trim rings sort of snap over the plastic but the screw keeps it from comiing off by itself.

Tony Radford
July 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Of course you realize that I'll have to go on a Home Depot run to find exactly the right chrome screw. If I have my usual luck, I'l end up ordering two screws from a chrome specialty shop in Arizona for $5 each plus $10 shipping. Damn.

TurnpikeBoy
July 16th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Keeping the economy of HotLanta vibrant! :)

Just a simple flathead sheetmetal screw, Mr. T - the Depot can surely fill your needs.

I hope. :)

Tony Radford
July 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
It has to be polished or chrome, or I won't be able to sleep at night.

Slither
July 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Get stainless steel and polish it up:D... or,

will a set-screw work so it isn't visible?