PDA

View Full Version : Tech questions

mkassab
April 29th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Alan or anyone…. A few questions: (Alan.. my email to Unique are being returned.... so I'm asking here)

1. Can I get a Jag IRS 3.73 with posi traction rear-end vs. 3.54? I assume when you have them rebuilt, the can put in 3.73 as easy as 3.54?

2. On a 351W block with 205cc AFR heads and Super Victor intake, QuickFuel quad carb…. Can I assume that will fit under the hood? My block will be a DART Iron Eagle 4.125x4 bore for a 427 ci strocker.

3. For my headers, I’d like 2” pipe for max exhaust flow. Any issues? (I realize some grinding/blending/compression may have to happen on either end.)

JeepSnake
April 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Mark,

With the 351W block and AFR 205's, you'll likely be running out of hood clearance. Dad's 427 car is running the same combo, but with an Edelbrock Air Gap. I'm fairly certain we had to use a pretty serious drop base on the air cleaner to get it under the hood. (I'm sure it's not good for airflow into the carb.)

mkassab
April 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
may have to consider a mod to raise the hood air scoop? Hope not.

weaver
April 30th, 2010, 05:37 AM
email me at unique@uniquemotorcars.com no problem with the Jag rear but clearance will be a problem with your engine set up, also 2" headers will not work, not enough room to get the header bolts in, we have cars with small blocks pushing 700 hp with 1 3/4" headers.

Alan

mkassab
April 30th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Alan, I sent my email to this address twice last night. I'll try to resend now. Mark

sllib
April 30th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Mark;
We really need to talk; I've been through all this already. 757-651-3577.

chris knueven
May 1st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mark,

1. I run 3.73's. They are fun.

2. A Super Victor will fit,but just barely. You will need the deepest drop base air filter you can find. A 3" filter will fit. I think my drop base is 1",I'll look later. There is enough meat on the carb flange area to mill off a little if you are close. I took a full inch off and added a wooden spacer to cut down on heat...

3. I have 1.75 primary tubes. Without going to an "N" or wide spread bolt pattern on the exhaust ports,the bolts would be impossible to get in. As it is mine are a PITA and I even run the reduced hex head exhaust bolts.

I'll be at homecoming...

Chris

mkassab
May 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Chris... I look forward to meet you at homecoming .... and "study" your car. What heads do you have. Have to assume with a Super Victor it's something simular to what I'll have.... AFR 205cc. thx Mark

chris knueven
May 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Chris... I look forward to meet you at homecoming .... and "study" your car. What heads do you have. Have to assume with a Super Victor it's something simular to what I'll have.... AFR 205cc. thx Mark

My car is 11 (Christ,has it been that long???) years old July 4th. Back in the dark ages I had set it up for Twisted Wedge R's. They ended up not being available and I went with out of the box Victor Juniors. In all honesty it isn't enough head for the stroke I'm running. They do make good power though.

I have some insane plans for the next bullet...but it is about 2 years out...

Chris

weaver
May 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Hows it going Chris

chris knueven
May 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hows it going Chris

Picking my nose and eatin the boogers...

Actually I'm cooling the garage off to do some work on the hot rod.
I have a small list to knock out before homecoming...

I may be up the 11th or 12th depending on this week. It is either come harass you guys our sit on my ass...
Just hand me a broom...

:)

Chris

Slidewinder
May 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Chris, I had good intentions but...............so much for good intentions!

Looking forward to seeing you at Homecoming!!

Al Slide (from Atlanta, Blue w/white stripes, Pond Alum 427)

chris knueven
May 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Chris, I had good intentions but...............so much for good intentions!

Looking forward to seeing you at Homecoming!!

Al Slide (from Atlanta, Blue w/white stripes, Pond Alum 427)

Thanks for the warning...

Chris

weaver
May 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Same old Chris. Remember to wrap your Cpap.

eliminator
May 5th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Chris,

Remember Thur. lunch is BBQ day.....

See you there, car has new wider shoes this year to go with the 3:73,

blackwalls, looks NASTY!!!

mkassab
May 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Chris,

Hmmmmmmmmmm.... new wider... pls share the size. I want to go as wide as possible to fill up the wheel wheels. If if you can share your wheel size, back space, offset, etc whould help. Thx Mark

chris knueven
May 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Chris,

I splurged and bought a new oil pan. Y'all can follow me now without fear of oil spray.
I am going to cough up some cash to have some qualified help there at Unique help
me replace that little bracket at the center of my windshield. My neighbors are good
people and all,but keep em away from tools.
I honestly don't trust them with even holding my windshield...

Thursday...BBQ lunch/mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I'm there.

Chris

chris knueven
May 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm.... new wider... pls share the size. I want to go as wide as possible to fill up the wheel wheels. If if you can share your wheel size, back space, offset, etc whould help. Thx Mark

I run 295/50/15's. I currently have Cooper Cobras. :)

They aren't much for traction though. After I kill these this year
I'm thinking of returning to Hoosier Quick Times. Not the Pros.
Same size. They are about 1/2-3/4 of an inch taller. Just enough
to give the car a little rake. I actually put 3.73's in my car because
these were sluggish with the 3.54's(that and the whole broken tooth
on the ring gear,it wasn't my fault,honest!)due to the slightly
taller height.

I running the 15x10's with 4" of backspace. The rear is narrowed the same with as the
people who run pin drives.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae215/Cobra427driver/DSCF15851.jpg

See if that loads...

Chris

mkassab
May 5th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks... see ya at homecoming.

Mark

Slidewinder
May 5th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hey Alan, I'm going for the big CPAP upgrade.......ResMed S9!!! Compared to my old S6 it'll be like going from an old Backdraft to new Unique!!!

weaver
May 6th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Engines run better with more air, I guess people do to.

spd4me
May 6th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Chris - Those black pipes look great with the dark blue and black walls. It really accents the body curves by not drawing your eyes to the pipes (like chrome).
Bob

chris knueven
May 6th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Chris - Those black pipes look great with the dark blue and black walls. It really accents the body curves by not drawing your eyes to the pipes (like chrome).
Bob

The original ceramic coating lasted a pretty good while. Rock chips and humidity finally got the best of it. I had them recoated locally and I'll just say they won't get a recommendation from me. After a year here the coating looked like ass.

I like the look of black and BBQ paint is cheap. The nice thing is when they look a little ugly,mask off the side of the car and respray. Most of the paint I have tried will come right off with laquer thinner. Makes prep even easier. A little rust? Spray right over it.

I would rather drive mine than polish it. Hint to the frame polisher guy... :D
Heck it's in the parking lot right outside the shop right now...

I was looking at my carpeting and belts...They are starting to fade REALLY bad.

Chris

weaver
May 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Sounds like I might sell a few parts next week.

diegokid
May 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
You think your neighbors are bad with tools, you have no idea. My wife busted my windshield with a vacum cleaner, yes I said a vacum cleaner. As she said its all ok though cause Unique can sell me a new one. :BEER:

arrowdriver
May 6th, 2010, 03:33 PM
You think your neighbors are bad with tools, you have no idea. My wife busted my windshield with a vacum cleaner, yes I said a vacum cleaner. As she said its all ok though cause Unique can sell me a new one. :BEER:

So the vacuum missed your head and hit the windshield? She must have a good arm.

eliminator
May 9th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I changed from 275 60 X15 to 295 50 X15 rear and run 245 60 x15 on the front. The new tires front and rear are M/T,s new tires which are the same as Cooper Cobra's. They are all made by Copper Tire in OH.

My wheels are Trigo's, pin drive front and back, 7 1/2" front and 10" back I beleive.

Justin Upchurch
May 11th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Your intake will fit, but as Chris said you will need a drop base air cleaner. I use the same one that Alan and Maurice have on their Ernie Elliot car and my Super Victor is about an inch taller than your intake.
I had ordered 3:54 gears with my car, but it came with a 3:31 ratio because they couldn't get the 3:54 at the time. I really like the 3:31 gear and it is perfect in these light cars with a TKO 600. First gear is usable and 70 mph is 2500 in fifth gear (.82 Overdrive). Unless you are drag racing, the 3:73 is overkill and you will not be able to put the power to the ground.

Tell Unique what size tire you want to run and they will make it work. They built my FIA so that a 315/35 17 fits just fine.

Go for a ride with Chris at homecoming, it is an experienced not to be missed!

Justin

Aggressor
May 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Unique did a perfect fit on my wheel/tire combination. Close fit without excessive "air" between the body and tires. A very proper look.

- Geary

Aggressor
May 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Rick
I was wondering why are you putting 295/50's on the rear. While I am happy with my 295's I am considering going from 295/50's to 275/60's for the look and a bit more nose down rake.
The images of you car kind'a sold me on the 275's.

-Geary

eliminator
May 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Geary,

I started comparing the actually tire sizes to the Goodyear Billboards and thought I would try the 295's. After this week-end and a lot of driving I like the 295's. I always had a little issue with the 275's on the passenger side about the middle of the passenger seat back. Under the car it would rub a place about 3" long and 3/4" wide. The glass was a little thick in this area of the body. I could have taken about 1/4" of glass out and reshaped the area to fix it but I didn't.
The M/T's in the 295 really look good, look like the sidewalls on the Goodyear's. They are about 1 " wider and 1" smaller in diameter than the 275's. Car drove really good with the new tires, fuel consumption with the 273 grear and smaller diameter tires was about 10.5 MPG. We ran back from Barber Motorsports at about 3,000 to 3,200 RPM all the way to Gadsden, 60-63 miles per hour.
So really no big reason for the change, just doing something different.:D