PDA

View Full Version : MSD: My Spark Disappeared

Mike Del
April 25th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Getting ready for homecoming, so I unwrapped the Cobra. Because I had a possible timing issue at the end of last season, I grabbed the timing light and attempted to fire it up. Hard start indicated trouble. Fired up and checked the timing, which was off. Moving the distributor had no effect. It's an MSD 85805 by the way. Pulled the dizzy to find the internals very rusted up and the advance mechanism rusted solid - nonfunctional. I ordered a brand new crappy MSD dizzy, because I don't want to get stuck in BFE on the way to Alabama. So, if you're running an MSD dizzy and you drive in the rain or live where there is any humidity at all, you probably have the same problem lurking under your hood. I fixed the rusted dizzy just to see if I could do it. I did. I wouldn't trust it for road use though. Just fixed it as a challenge. See you all at the Homecoming.

weaver
April 26th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Sounds like your talking Snoop Dog, when I get to the hizzy I will check my dizzy, foshizzle.

Aggressor
April 26th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Alan's nailed it - Snoop Dog quotes.

-Geary

Mike Del
April 30th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I replaced my "centrifugal advance only" MSD distributor with an MSD 8478 Street Pro Billet unit. I am passing this on to you because I bought it from a company called "Street Side Auto" they had a great price, excellent response and super fast shipping. They shipped it free and no handling charge. I'm very impressed with their service. Try them out if you like.

I think I'll take it out for a 2500 mile test drive. Anybody want to drive along? I don't mean as a passenger. There's no room. BYOC.

Slither
April 30th, 2010, 07:59 AM
So then, I guess, "It's Gadsden or bust:3g:! YEEHAW:banana:!!!" Or something like that...

Good luck!! And, safe trip...