PDA

View Full Version : Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets

PhillipM
April 13th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Has anyone ever used the following Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets for an FE? I have an oil leak at the valve covers that I am having a difficult time stopping. A small and frustrating leak. I have tried standard Cork and Rubber. Fel-Pro makes a thicker Cork/Rubber for about $20 (#1632). Any advice to stop the leak is welcome.

- From what I can tell they are leaking at the covers not the heads.

Thanks
Phillip

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FPP-1632/?rtype=10

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/1632/10002/-1

davebetts
April 14th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Yes, I've use this type (and others). But here's the trick. First, make sure the valve cover rim, especally around the bolt hole, is flat and true. I RTV glue the gasket to the inside of the cover and let dry overnignt. Clean the head and bolt the cover on - DO NOT Overtighten the bolts as it mushrooms the seal and then it leaks. I do the valves annually and I've even reused the seal (stays attached). Give that a try and good luck to you.

eliminator
April 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I use the rubber gaskets, I put a little black RTV in the corners and problem areas, Intake seam. Snug them down and good to go. I use a 1/4 ratchet and extension and cross tighten, you have to be carefull about overtighten. After it heat cycles I go over them again. I get about 3 to 4 valve adjustments out of the rubber gaskets before I change. Clean all surfaces with denatured alcohol before you put the gaskets in place, valve covers too.

pgermond
April 15th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Ditto what has been said. I used the cork gaskets and they are a major pain in the a$$. Haven't had any leaks or problems with the Fel-Pro rubber..... just don't over tighten. Snug them up and you will be fine as long as the valve covers are in good shape.

BTW - if you want cork gaskets I have a set in the original packaging I'm looking to get rid of hanging in the garage :)

PhillipM
April 18th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will make the change this week.

Thanks Phil for the offer. I already have a set.

Phillip