PDA

View Full Version : Delux Pallet vs Options

bomelia
March 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Hi all. I have a problem with understanding the options vs the Delux Pallet. Is there a way to know what options are already in the delux pallet? Maybe I scanned too quickly...

Mike

RJacobsen
March 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
You need to look at the price list for the basic (or minimum I believe) kit, and then the Pallet kit to see what is included with them, the deluxe kit just adds to what is already in the others. the options list has items in it that are included in the pallet kit and deluxe pallet kit, Hope this helps.

cal.cheesehead
March 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Bomelia, I had the same ? before I bought mine. Give Alan a call or e-mail. He can clarify.
Took delivery on my 427 in Feb. I'm having a ball. Good luck.

bomelia
March 9th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Rod, I knew about that... I just get frustrated going back and forth trying to figure it out. I wish the list has asterisks by the option items so you could easily figure it out.

Cheese, I guess I could get in my car and go see them, they are just 80 miles from here. But I am afraid I would leave the shop 26K lighter and in a whole lot of trouble with my wife!

pgermond
March 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
LMAO - Bomelia........... at least you are honest. Eighty miles? ...... still LMAO, even harder!

bomelia
March 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Bomelia, I had the same ? before I bought mine. Give Alan a call or e-mail. He can clarify.
Took delivery on my 427 in Feb. I'm having a ball. Good luck.

Ya'll can call me Mike. My username is a holdover from clubcobra. Cheese, what "options" if any did you add to your kit?

I assume you got the delux pallet.

Phil, I do a lot of "ultra" running and for two of my races, I end up driving right by the store on my way to Talladega National forrest... So hard to stay focussed.

Mike

Slither
March 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I am afraid I would leave the shop 26K lighter and in a whole lot of trouble with my wife!

Yup, you can just about bet on it;)!

RJacobsen
March 9th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Rod, I knew about that... I just get frustrated going back and forth trying to figure it out. I wish the list has asterisks by the option items so you could easily figure it out.
yeah I know what you mean. It could be set up a little clearer. Alan??

weaver
March 10th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Here is a list by numbers of items included with a DPK, 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 15, 24, 25, 26, 28, 35, 36, 37, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 47, 50, 58, 61, 76. For a limited time we are including a drive shaft, quick jacks and ceramic coated exhaust. On the price sheet we mail out there is an asterisk by the parts included, I thought it was the same on our web site price page, we will take of it. Mike are you coming to our open house in May?

Alan

bomelia
March 10th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Alan, most likely. What day is it?

I think at one time you did have asertisks on the included items... I tried figuring it out last night and still got a bit confused.

I have a great big engine and nothing to put it in. My big challenge is (as always) that one can build the engine over time, bit by bit. Then there is this huge step function in price when it comes to the body. Actually, its not really MY problem... its my wife's problem, but then again, that makes it my problem. :)

I am open to ideas.

Address is 3202 Dry Stone Cir
Hampton Cove, AL 35763

Mike

ralphscott
March 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Mike, one of the real advantages of the DPK is a most of the stuff has already been dry fitted fitted to the car. Huge savings in time and effort. You may want to check this point out more carefully when you visit Unique.

Ralph

robbinsshkr
March 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Mike,

Tell your wife you need to come up with 26 k to pay back child support for a kid you never knew you had from your drunken college days. When you tell her you were just teasing, she'll go ahead and gladly sign your permission slip when see learns where the money ISN'T going to :D
Eddie

ralphscott
March 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
If Mike was married to my girl he'd never stay alive long enough to say he was just teasing!

Ralph

Slither
March 10th, 2009, 08:01 PM
If Mike was married to my girl he'd never stay alive long enough to say he was just teasing!

Ralph

I suppose at that point he wouldn't need to worry about the money anymore:eek:!

;)

bomelia
March 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Mike,

Tell your wife you need to come up with 26 k to pay back child support for a kid you never knew you had from your drunken college days. When you tell her you were just teasing, she'll go ahead and gladly sign your permission slip when see learns where the money ISN'T going to :D
Eddie

Just tried this. Did not work. Whaa.

bomelia
March 10th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Here is a list by numbers of items included with a DPK, 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 15, 24, 25, 26, 28, 35, 36, 37, 38, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 47, 50, 58, 61, 76. For a limited time we are including a drive shaft, quick jacks and ceramic coated exhaust. On the price sheet we mail out there is an asterisk by the parts included, I thought it was the same on our web site price page, we will take of it. Mike are you coming to our open house in May?

Alan

I wonder of the options not listed, which ones would be "regret" items? Ones you cannot change out or add later?

Is the entire brake system (calipers, etc) Wildwood?

Mike

weaver
March 11th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Front brakes are Wilwood, rear brakes are rebuilt Girling.

bomelia
March 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Good on the wildwood.

But what about the "regret" items. Those things I might wish later I had done, but it will be too late after full assembly...?

Mike

ralphscott
March 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Mike, Here are a few of my preferences:

I don't know where you live but in TN the Heater Defroster option is a good idea. I really use the defroster more than the heater. I only used the heater before I got my puller fan to help pull down engine temp in slow traffic.

Knock-off or bolt-on wheels. I went with the bolt-ons and just changed to the Knock-offs not a cheap conversion and very labor intensive. An impotant decision to make if you have any doubts.

Hand Brake is a very good option to have. When I got the kit the hand brake had not been perfected. So I had a linelock e-brake. You definetly want to go with the hand brake up front.

I got a top and side curtains and never used it, I may in the future, but not yet. But do get the snaps installed for the tonneau cover and get it.

As for the rear end Posi is good to have and also try to match your rear end ratio to your engine power band and how you drive. I cruise at 60-75.

I don't know what some of the other options are now but those are the first ones to come to my mind.

Ralph

bomelia
March 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have the top loader transmission that makes driving at highway speed not so good.

pgermond
March 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have an FE, 3:31 posi with a 4-speed top loader. I do a little highway driving (100-150 mi at a time) and it spins around 3K at 65-70, although freeway driving is not my thing and I avoid it as much as possible - I prefer the back roads where the gear ratio is well suited. Just depends on what type of driving you plan to do.

ralphscott
March 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Mike, I have a toploader, close ratio, big spline and I love it it is mated to a 3:31 which if I was wiser and paid attention when I paired it to the engine would have got a 3:54. I love the top loader, great gear to gear transition! With the rear gear I am running I don't need an overdrive. Next big project once I get my current punch list squared away is to MAYBE go to a milder cam that will work better with the 3:31 (normal driving closer to the power band).

We all have our preferences and perhaps the guys will share theirs...

Ralph

robbinsshkr
March 12th, 2009, 03:46 PM
as far as regrets.....everyone has always said aluminum panels for the engine bay are inpossable to install at a later date.
Eddie

TurnpikeBoy
March 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
as far as regrets.....everyone has always said aluminum panels for the engine bay are inpossable to install at a later date.
Eddie

All you gotta do is pop the engine out :)

Aggressor
March 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hey Bomelia - There ain't nothin wrong with a toploader. I love em. Over-engineered back in the 60's to be rugged enough for racing abuse. I am a fan after seeing the shock loads it handles with such ease.

About the wife ......There's an old saying that my wife really hates by now.
"She'll get over it."

When that fails get her to "buy" into it .. include her in the project.
When that fails a bit of diplomacy helps .. such as .. what I put in the car she gets in home improvements and jewelry. This year for example - 8 new windows plus a new picture window, new kitchen cabinets, custom counter w/sink, Tanzanite ring, and to top it off a Polydactyl cat. (Means many-toed also refered to as a Hemmingway cat)
The above list is the first installment payment for the blower upgrade I did last year.

- Geary

PS Believe it or not the little bugger has 25 toes.

bomelia
March 13th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Where didya get the toey cat? East Tennessee?

I do not know if I care about aluminum panels, if they are only for looks. In fact the only thing I might care about would be heat shielding. But you never know, someone might point out a utility use for aluminum lining. All those rivets to me look awful.

The heater core makes sense. BTW, Alan fixed the website with asterisks marking included items in the DPK. Thanks! I thought the handbrake was standard? Are bumpers and quick jacks interchangeable?

What they need at Unique is a "lay-away" program. That way I could put money there that my wife could not get to! :)

Yes Ralph, I have the same top loader. Saying I should go with the 3:54? BTW, I am very happy with the TL. I have everything for under the hood except the cam (I think) and the Edelbrock heads. Puting all that together starting next week.

You know, I have looked at many of the kits out there... And when you really stop and compare apples to apples, Unique still stands ahead of the crowd. I like their up-front honest pricing. So many others hide the costs and you really have to dig to find out.

ralphscott
March 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Mike 3:54 or 3:31 depends on your cam's power band and where you want to run on rpm's -- tire size also effects your (cruise) rpm which in turn has some play in how close you get to your power band. I recently went fron 16's to 15" trigos and there is a difference in cruise rpm I think Phil is also running 15's so his numbers are right -on

Ralph

pgermond
March 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I think Phil is also running 15's so his numbers are right -on

Ralph

Yes, 15" [thumb]

bomelia
March 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Mike 3:54 or 3:31 depends on your cam's power band and where you want to run on rpm's -- tire size also effects your (cruise) rpm which in turn has some play in how close you get to your power band. I recently went fron 16's to 15" trigos and there is a difference in cruise rpm I think Phil is also running 15's so his numbers are right -on

Ralph

Ralph,

I am glad that you mentioned that. I have not chosen a cam yet, but when I get to that point I will ask more questions.

Thanks.

Mike

scott h
March 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM
ditto, cam choice is critical to your overall driving experience.

bomelia
March 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I want a smoother motor... not a loper. I have a 428 FE. Thats gonna have plenty of power for me. Cam choice and rear end? 15" Wheels are fine (I think)

K.Wilson
March 17th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Mike,
You may want to drive over and take a look at my latest project.
Here is a sneak-peak....
Keith

Justin Upchurch
March 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I would go with the front and rear sway bars, the adjustable coil over shocks, and posi rear end. Also, because you live close I would drop the motor by the shop and have Unique put it in so that they can fab the headers using your actual set up.
As far as the rear end ratio goes, try to ride in a few cars. I have a fairly radical street roller in my car with almost 270 duration and 670 lift with a 3:31 gear ratio. I really like this combination and if I had a big block with a 4 speed and a mild cam I would try a 3:08 or 2:91 gear. These cars are so light that they just don't need a lot of gear. Find a gear ratio calculator on the net and experiment with a few ratios to see what you come up with.
Go ahead and write the check, you won't have any regrets.

Justin