PDA

View Full Version : LKQ engines

scott h
March 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM
anyone familiar with LKQ powertrain. My wifes 2001 mustang GT just had a major failure. the motor froze due to total crank bearing failure. Thankfully she was getting off the freeway and almost to a complete stop when the motor locked up.
My neighbor, a Highway Patrol mechanic says this is a cmmon failure due to the thrust bearing on the crank wearing to the point the crank can move enough to block off oil flow etc... He told off a Highway patrol car that this happened to at 120 mph, luckily the momentum of the car just cause him to slow down drastically.
anyways I talked to a guy LKQ who can sell me a rebuilt long block for $1700. This sounds like a great deal. wordering if anybody knows of this outfit

cal.cheesehead
March 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Scott, PAW in San Fernando Valley was discounting short and long blocks. It's Performance Automotive Warehouse. 818-678-3000. Might be worth a call.

souzape
March 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
SPEEDOMOTIVE is a SOCAL shop that does nice work too. Got a beautiful 383 stroker for my 66 Corvette from them several years ago and it was flawless.

robbinsshkr
March 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
not sure if or how many miles it has over the warrenty, but if its a common occurance like you are being told, perhaps there is a recall on that particular setup. maybe someone will at least cover the parts. a lot of times the factory wont send out a recall notice unless its a safety issue such as brakes or something that could result in a lawsuit, but if you can get someone from the dealer to acknowledge it is indeed a common problem they may be willing to help. sure worth a phone call or some internet surf'n. cant hurt anything.
Eddie

scott h
March 7th, 2009, 09:39 PM
i will check those other places out too. way to many miles for ford to help. bought brand new in sept. of 2001 she has put 193,000 miles on it.

diegokid
March 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Just because the warranty is out don't let that stop you from checking with Ford. My 95 Chevy truck had a recall for the windshield wiper motor a few years ago. It was 11 years old with 186,000 miles. While there they also replaced the AC compressor. It was a recall when I bought the truck in CA but the dealer never sent me anything. There was no charge for this.

Doesn't hurt to check.:D

scott h
March 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM
thanks, definitely will check with ford