PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for the open house!

cal.cheesehead
March 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Alabama House Approves Bill Allowing Sale Of More Potent Beer
Tuesday, March 3, Associated Press
The Alabama House has passed a bill that would allow stronger beer to be sold in Alabama. The House voted 49-37 Tuesday to approve the bill that will allow some imported and gourmet beers with a higher alcohol content to be sold in Alabama. Alabama law currently requires that beer sold in Alabama have an alcohol content no higher than 6 percent by volume. The bill sponsored by Rep. Thomas Jackson of Thomasville would allow beer with an alcohol content up to 13.9 percent by volume.

scott h
March 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
has anyone tried high alcohol beer, what i have tried is nasty. i don't see the point, it really ruins the taste. If the point is to get drunk as fast as possible then it would be a good choice.

diegokid
March 6th, 2009, 06:11 AM
No point intended, its an individual choice.
:confused:

JeepSnake
March 6th, 2009, 06:28 AM
This was known as the "Free the Hops!" bill, and I'm glad to see it pass. Heck, I don't even drink beer (well, one or two every blue moon; I hear there will likely be a blue moon on May 1 - 2.) - but I'm a libertarian who thinks Alabama's laws dealing with alcohol are some of the most schizophrenic on the books.

One of our legislators decried this bill as paving the way for college students to get smashed faster. Obviously, he's never seen the price on the high-alc beers. I don't think they'll cut into the sales of The Beast in college towns anytime soon.

Our county just had to have a referendum to allow two of my sister-in-law's family members to open a winery in a community that was FOUNDED on vineyards over 100 years ago! Fruithurst & Muscadine were once prospering vineyard towns until Prohibition killed them off. Finally we may be reversing that foolishness and letting people do more of what they want, especially if it's something that will create JOBS!

And the whisky that's the "official spirit" of the State of Alabama? Well, it's made from a Conecuh County citizen's old family recipe, but it has to be distilled in Kentucky because Alabama apparently won't license distilleries or something... WTH??? Actually, it may be a Catch-22 situation: the state will only license someone who has distilled product to test for quality, but if you possess the distilled product without having a license you're in violation of the law... Something stupid like that.

diegokid
March 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
What is the official spirit of AL.

JeepSnake
March 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Conecuh Ridge...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conecuh_Ridge_Whiskey

diegokid
March 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'll see if I can find it and give it a try. Everyone makes a bid todo over Jack and Jim but everyone I know but a few liked Ezra Brooks better after trying that. Maybe this'll beat Ezra.

scott h
March 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
it is kind of funny how our legislators get involved where they really should have no business. Colorado used too (maybe still does) sell 3.2 low alcohol beer at the convenience stores and 6.0 at the liquor stores. High alcohol beer tastes more like liquor and less like beer. to each his own!
Have you heard (i think it is virginia) is trying to pass a law outlawing dolls that emphasize beauty

Slither
March 6th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Have you heard (i think it is virginia) is trying to pass a law outlawing dolls that emphasize beauty

Scott,

What do they say is the urgent need for this important piece of legislation:confused:... or do we already know?

What will they think of next?

ralphscott
March 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM
West Virginia, Barbie Dolls, the legislator could not find a co-sponsor so the initiative died. Apparently the legislator was concerned that Barbie dolls emphasized appearance over intellect. He felt that the dolls sent a bad message that looks were more inportant than academic achievement and detracted from the ability of young girls to focus on developing thier minds.