PDA

View Full Version : Side Pipe Mounts Revisited

mbenoit
December 6th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Recently, we had a posting relating to the side pipe mounts. This post reminded me of my own concerns when I first mounted the side pipes. I decided to make some new mounts that incorporate polyurethane bushings in the ends that attach to the pipes. The poly bushings are made by Energy Suspension and come 8 to a pack for about 10 bucks at the local auto parts store.

The brackets themselves are made from 2" x 2" angle iron. I cold-formed some short pieces of tube which were welded into the brackets to hold the bushings. I made these pieces of tubing because I did not have the right size tubing in the shop.

To precisely position the bushings, I drilled out the end that would hold the bushing with an oversize hole saw. I then mounted the rough formed brackets to the frame and bolted the tubing to the side pipes. I then tack welded the tubes to the mounts and voila - exactly positioned bushings. I ended up sacraficing 2 of the bushings for the whole project due to minor melting from the tack welding. Once tack welded, I pulled the mounts off the car and did finish welding, grinding and painting. Now my mounts have just a touch of give to them unlike the original mounts which had absolutely none.

Slither
December 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Nice work [thumb]. Did you remove the original mount from the sidepipes and replace them? It seems like I remember the mounting bracket being turned 90 degres and welded to the top of the pipe.

Or was this done in several different ways over the years:confused:?

Thanks

mbenoit
December 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks much for the compliment. The only change I made when I first got the car was I shortened the tabs that are welded to the sides of the pipes when I first mounted the pipes. My original mounts were also made from 2 x 2 angle iron but had no give whatsoever.

Naumoff
December 8th, 2008, 02:52 PM
nice job [thumb]

eliminator
December 9th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Good job, the only thing I see to make this bullet proof is the mount on the side pipe. If it was made to extend under the side pipe, (like a cradle) and welded in place it would not come loose from the sidepipe. The way it is now welded it could come loose at the side pipe because the sidewall of the muffler is a thin guage.[thumb]