PDA

View Full Version : fastsest engine combination?

dave55
October 15th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I thought of a question for discussion. What engine and transmission combination do you think would make the fastest cobra on the top end speed? What combination would give you the quickest quarter mile speed? All assuming that money was not a restriction.[thumb]

dave55
October 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
i have the best first grade education money can buy

rdorman
October 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Really is a complex question. Top speed? The Cobra is a aerodynamic brick so you need lots of HP, plus there is so much lift that things get interesting fast. 1/4 mile? How ever much you can put to the ground. Generally not a great 1/4 car relatively speaking. Both and on the street? I would slap a large BB and a good over drive tranny in there and call it even!

Brent
October 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Small block Ford all aluminum stroker, electronic fuel injection, single front mounted turbocharger, and an intercooler in front of the radiator. Should be around 2000 hp at the crank.

Brent

rdorman
October 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Now you are talking...

Aggressor
October 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Brent, For topend speed I'd work the opposite approach. Destroke the engine and fit the largest pistons possible in a small block. Build a quick winding 9000+ rpm engine like the saltflat boys. Minimize the engine bottom end swinging weight and flow air like a 747 through the heads. The only really problem remaining is the huge hole you'll be attempting to punch in the atmosphere.

Classic early 60's aerodynamics at it's finest.

-Geary

Jerry Cowing
October 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
J-84 jet engine. It will push a brick supersonic.

diegokid
October 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
The F-4 Phantom was called a flying brick!

If you want to see a good movie about the salt flats rent a copy of "The Worlds Fastest Indian."

ralphscott
October 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Outstanding flick!! Definitely a must see!