PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Switches

rosco
August 18th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Well,

This past Saturday going to a car show, my second Lucas Switch crapped out; this second time this switch failed in less than two months. I made it home short-shifting and neutral coating (fortunately down-hill); temp never went over 190F...

Are any of you running different switches (more reliable) that would plug in to the Unique dash and wiring ends?

I would really hate to buy replacement (Lucas) switches:mad:

Thanks,

Gino

weaver
August 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I would add a relay and stay with the Lucas switch. I haven't lost a Lucas switch yet.

Alan

rosco
August 18th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Alan,

What do you mean by a relay? Have any pics?

Thanks,

Gino

pbrown
August 18th, 2008, 11:21 AM
This diagram should help. It is an easy project.

Here is a link to some relays and connectors at parts express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?FILTER=bosch+relay&FTR=bosch+relay&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3

Many parts stores will have them to but at much higher prices. The diagram shows a 14 amp fuse at he battery. That seems low to me. Check the specs for the load your running and size the for that. Most performance electric fans would use a 30A fuse.

The diagram has two relays but you only need one. The second relay is for triggering the fan from the AC compressor which I doubt you have.

The diode and LED at the right of the diagram allow you to have a light on the dash to show when the fan is on. This is handy with automatic switches.

pbrown
August 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Here is the site whereI found the diagram. There is some good info.

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

rosco
August 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info....

just ordered some swithes and perhaps attempt to wire the relay before installing...

thanks again,

Naumoff
August 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Relays are great.
On headlight and fans I wired them in and kept the Lucas switches.
I like the vintage look.

Very easy to do.