PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lights

rosco
July 14th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I noticed (was told) that my brake lights were not working yesterday at a car show. All other lights work, parking, headlights, directionals....

Can anyone tell me what and where to look to fix; I suspect a faulty or loose connection (switch).... Pictures would be helpful...

Thanks a bunch!

weaver
July 14th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Brake light switch #SLS27

Alan

Jerry Cowing
July 14th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Don't start replacing parts until you have isolated the problem. Start with the easiest and simplest fix first. In your case, start with the bulbs. Put an Ohm meter on the bulbs and see if the circuit is complete. If no, change the bulbs. If still no lights, check for electrical current to the bulb recepticle, etc., etc.

arrowdriver
July 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
First thing and easiest is to check the brake light switch which if you car is like mine is a pressure switch mounted on the driver's side inner front fender. Just pull both wires off and fit a jumper wire between the two wires. If this doesn't work then check to see if power is getting to one of the wires to the switch. The bulbs are unlikely since typically only one will burn out. My system has two round lights on each side hooked up in parallel so both come on with tail lights and also with brake lights. You didn't mention your signal lights if they work or not since they use the same elements of the bulb as brake lights. If they don't work either then you might have a problem with a module installed under the dash that are normally sold for adding trailer connections to cars. Mine had failed though one brake light still worked. Cut out the old one and bought one from the local auto supply for about $25 but noted that it is only rated for 2.1 amps which coincidentally is the current draw of a normal brake light bulb, so replaced one bulb on each side with a LED equivalent that draws an insignificant current. You can't change both to LED since they don't draw enough to make your flasher work.

Hope this helps.

rosco
July 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Arrow...

Thanks to Alan, I realized I may have had a loose white wire that connects to the sensor...

Need to get my wife to see if that cured it; I will let you all know...

thanks again,

rosco
July 15th, 2008, 05:32 AM
All set!!! :)

Loose Wire to Sensor; Alan nailed it!

thanks again,

pgermond
July 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
That Alan...... he's a pretty sharp guy ;)

Naumoff
July 17th, 2008, 03:55 AM
All set!!! :)

Loose Wire to Sensor; Alan nailed it!

thanks again,

Usually it is the loose nut behind the wheel. :D

rosco
July 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Tony,

I guess I can't argue that:banana:

Naumoff
July 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM