PDA

View Full Version : Front opening

arrowdriver
July 10th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I notice that many of the member's cars posted in the gallery have a wide open front so that the fans etc are obvious whereas mine has a cross panel that seems to redirect the airflow to more closely match the direction of the rad. Can anyone explain why some have this panel while others don't? I have a bunch of photos of originals that have this panel but not all of them.

weaver
July 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Its an option we don't offer anymore, we sold quite a few in the late 80s and early 90s but it was fazed out when we went to the dual fan set up in the nose. Post some pics of my old car.

Alan

Naumoff
July 13th, 2008, 06:00 AM
SPAM! I can't believe it!

arrowdriver
July 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Next he will inform us he has $100 billion stashed away that his father stole and he needs someone honest to help him smuggle it out of Nigeria and he just knows that he can trust us for this but of course we will have to send him a bit of bribe money to pay off the official who will then turn a blind eye to this etc.

pgermond
July 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hopefully Patrick will excommunicate that spam bag bag from our kingdom!

I'd like to see some photos as well.

arrowdriver
July 13th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I posted some in the gallerys section.

arrowdriver
July 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I don't know if the title is readable on the previous attachment but it is a photo of CSX-3355 which has the front like mine.

RJacobsen
July 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Some of the original cobras had the splitter that you have. I have heard that it was an attempt to make the car more stable at high speed by adding down force to the front. I can't imagine how it would ever do that in this location.

Naumoff
July 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
From what I understand the splitters only came on the street cars.

arrowdriver
July 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM
What I have heard is that it improves airflow through the sloping rad when driving at speed. |I don't know but it does hide some of the stuff in front of the rad.

pbrown
July 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
SPAM! I can't believe it!

The spam is gone an the user has been banned.

Naumoff
July 14th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Patrick, your good.

Arrowhead,
That is why I thought they put them on the street cars. To make it look more finished and hide the stuff in front of the radiator. The 289 street cars had a grill and with the wider opening of the 427 car a piece of metal made into a splitter was a lot cheaper than making a whole new grill for it. As cheap as Shelby is, it just makes sense.
But I could be wrong.

I do have a lot of people ask me where my grill is.:)