PDA

View Full Version : Shift Light

davids2toys
April 24th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I am interest in installing one of these, I would like it to blend in and not look out of place. Maybe flush mounting it in the dash like another idiot light perhaps.
I did a search and found nothing. Has anyone done this mod???
Thanks ...Dave

Naumoff
April 25th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Do you want it for every time you drive or just when you go racing?

You could make a bracket that could use the same holes as your rear view mirror.

I don't know if a flush mount light in the dash would be in your peripheral vision while you are looking down the road hammering the gears.

JeepSnake
April 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM
You could install a light above the steering column and high beam indicator, copying the look of the original 289's alternator/generator warning light.

But, as Tony said, that might not be in your vision enough when you're shifting "under duress."

davids2toys
April 25th, 2008, 06:41 AM
These things are very bright, they even have colored caps to dim them. Yes, I want it all the time.
Do you know or have a link to some pics of the 289 setup?

JeepSnake
April 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Dave, here's a pic that I have. You can also look at Club Cobra and csxinfo.com (or csxinfo.net???) and find dash photos that will show the light.

It's the big light directly above the steering column.

davids2toys
April 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Pretty nice, where did you get the bezel, in fact the whole thing...is that a shift light??
Is that an engine start all the way to the left?
Thanks

davids2toys
April 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Dave, here's a pic that I have. You can also look at Club Cobra and csxinfo.com (or csxinfo.net???) and find dash photos that will show the light.

It's the big light directly above the steering column..com did not work, and .net did work but not a user friendly , could not find anything!

pgermond
April 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Why not just use the tach rather than cluttering up the dash??

davids2toys
April 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Why not just use the tach rather than cluttering up the dash??
Because I really cant look at the tach and concentrate on the road or track looking at a gauge at the same time

pbrown
April 25th, 2008, 11:15 PM
How about something like this? You could probably flush it into the dash just above the column.

http://www.raptorperformance.com/warning_light.html

davids2toys
April 26th, 2008, 06:20 AM
How about something like this? You could probably flush it into the dash just above the column.

http://www.raptorperformance.com/warning_light.html
Just looked at their site, pretty interesting...I would need a bezel to dress up the hole in the dash.
thanks

ralphscott
April 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Nah -- just tuck it in the AC vent

Ralph

JeepSnake
April 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Pretty nice, where did you get the bezel, in fact the whole thing...is that a shift light??
Is that an engine start all the way to the left?
Thanks

Sorry, Dave, no answers to your questions. That's a pic of CSX 2492 I made at a car show last fall.

davids2toys
April 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
&^##, Darn It!

cwareham
May 6th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread (it sounds like you got some good ideas.)

Does anyone know where to get the dash indicators that JeepSnake posted? I've seen them on other vehicles, I know they're out there somewhere! :^).

All the best,
Chris

Naumoff
May 7th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Chris,
I am checking on a source right now. I hope to have an answer in a couple of days.

RJacobsen
May 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Chris, check Summit racing. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRF%2D80209&N=700+%2D122631+115&autoview=sku