PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

max ac
April 13th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Well...after owning my FIA for over a year, I have my first problem. While driving home last night from our local cruise-in, the headlights went out suddenly. Thankfully, I was only about a mile from home after driving for about an hour. I was turning onto another road and canceled my turn signals when the lights went out. The dash lights, tail lights, and brake lights also don't work. All other electrical items are working fine--even the turn signals. I have checked the fuses and all appear to be fine. I'm sure it's an easy fix and hope somebody can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

John

Jim Harding
April 13th, 2008, 09:06 AM
John, I had a similar experience last fall. I traced the problem to intermittent connections at the connector between the turn signal assembly and the dash harness. Of course, that was after I tore the whole turn signal assembly apart thinking the problem was in there :mad:

weaver
April 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
There is a fuse on the headlight switch, its the old style glass fuse, i'm sure thats the problem. You might want to replace it with a 20amp.

Alan

max ac
April 13th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Jim and Alan:

Thanks for the info. I'll try the fuse first. I thought it was a fuse, just didn't know if there was any more besides the newer, 2 prong plastic type.

John

brfutbrian
April 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
There is a fuse on the headlight switch, its the old style glass fuse, i'm sure thats the problem. You might want to replace it with a 20amp.

Alan

and tape an extra fuse to the wires so youll have a spare if it fails on the road again., later, brian

max ac
April 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Alan:

It was the fuse. Thanks for your help.

Brian:

I bought a few extra to keep in the car.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

John

JeepSnake
April 14th, 2008, 05:56 AM
You can get a circuit breaker that plugs into where the glass fuse goes on the headlight switch. I picked up 20 A breakers for both our cars.

I think that the ones I have are "Standard" brand. No more worries about a spare fuse!

ralphscott
April 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Zach, Part number and where to purchase?

Ralph

scott h
April 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
you can also get slow-blow fuses at most hardware, auto, or electrical supply stores, i blew the original fuse the 2nd time i turned the lights on. no problems since replacing with slow-blow fuse.

JeepSnake
April 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Ralph, I think the one I have is a Standard brand, but here is the Bussman equivalent:

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cgi-bin/ryderfp/products/srm/oid/46389/pn/circuit-breaker-clip-type-20amp-each/erm/product_detail.jsp

The 20 A part number is BUS CBF20, described as "Circuit breaker, clip type."

I got them at the local mom & pop parts place. Counter guy knew exactly what I was looking for when I told him I needed "a circuit breaker to plug into a connection where a glass fuse normally goes."

I think Autozone may actually keep Bussman electrical parts, but not sure.

RJacobsen
April 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
some older Ford products also used these. Mid to late 70's? You might find at a dealer if you have a parts guy that will just check the bin instead of useing the computer.

ralphscott
April 15th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks so much Zach and Rod

Ralph