PDA

View Full Version : volt meter

COBRAGAR
March 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Has Anybody Changed Over From Amp Meter To Volt Meter . Whats Involve Other Than Gauge And Hook-up On Back Of Meter. Detail Drawing Prefered. Thanks For The Help.

pgermond
March 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'm not being a smart a$$..... really. I'm just wondering what the advantage is converting from amps to volts?

Naumoff
March 4th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Phil,
It is easier to tell if the alternator is charging with a volt meter even with all the accessories on.

Brent
March 4th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I have spent a lot of time speaking to Ron Francis (www.ronfrancis.com) about the wiring in the new project. Trying to plan ahead for EFI and forced induction. Ron says ammeters are the #1 cause of under dash fires in street rods and classics. they usually read 30-0-30 or 50-0-50. If you run a 100 amp alternator you can already see the potential. External regulators give false readings to the alternators if there is ANY ground issue. If you run a large electric fan you can also forget getting a good reading unless you run EVERYTHING through the gauge.

1) Voltmeters tell you before the trouble

2) Ammeters tell you after the trouble

3) Ammeters cause false signals to the alternator/regulator resulting in over or under charging

4) The voltmeter eliminates heavy current flow in the vehicle's electrical system.

If you order a catalog from Ron the entire catalog is full of quality system information you can always use.

weaver
March 4th, 2008, 06:03 AM
The main reason we use a ammeter is the SW volt meter looks like it belongs on a farm tractor, we looked at what everyone else was using at the time and decided on the ammeter. I would prefer a volt gauge but they still look weird and our harness was designed for a ammeter.

Alan

COBRAGAR
March 4th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I Was Just Wandering If I Could Tape Up The Wires That Are There Now. And Go With A Wire From The Ignition Switch To Volt Meter And A Grd. Thanks Garcia

Naumoff
March 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Brent, isn't that what I said.:D

I find the amp meter of little use.

Garcia, You could bolt them together and wrap them. I like heat shrink.

terryk
March 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Why not an ampmeter and a farm tractor voltmeter?

Naumoff
March 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Shelby was a chicken farmer.:p

Nice wood terryk

COBRAGAR
March 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I Don't Believe That The Volt Meter In Summit Racing With # Sww-82391 . To Me It Looks Like All The Other Gauges We Have.

Naumoff
March 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sww-82391_w.jpg

weaver
March 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Like I said, Farm tractor.

Jeff 427
March 5th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I have the Autometer Cobra Gauges with the amp meter.
They make a volt meter that is pretty clean looking with just numbers; no words or letters.
Looks like a nice option.
(www.autometer.com)

Naumoff
March 5th, 2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.autometer.com/img/products/201009_d.jpg

COBRAGAR
March 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Now I,m Going To Call Tech Dept At Autometer And Or Stewart Warner For Proper Hookup. Thanks For The Picture

pgermond
March 6th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Let us know what you find out......

sllib
March 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Autometer Cobra Voltmeter #201009, $47.95 at Summit. Simple installation istructions can be down-loaded from Autometer's site.
Bill Stradtner

spd4me
March 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I had an amp meter on my 66 sprite and had it disconnected. After I sold it, the guy hooked it back up and came out one day and the dash was on fire. Come on baby light my fire.
bob

weaver
March 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
As far as I know we have never had a dash fire due to a ammeter, I do like the idea of using a volt gauge but just because you can't hook it up backwards, at least I don't think you can.

Alan

COBRAGAR
March 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Alan Is It Possible To Ask Prodesign Wiring If It's Possible To Tie The Two Amp Meter Wires Together And Bypass The Meter And C/out To A Volt Meter With The Proper Hookup. Thanks Garcia