PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem?

homer
October 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Been quite a while since I posted last. Was curious if the symptoms below may indicate a problem with my clutch - I hope not! I have a 4spd toploader with a sa 406 engine and a cylinder that I got from unique when I built the car - car has a little more than 1000miles on it and has been running very well. Today I noticed a hot metal small under the hood toward the rear of the engine after a short drive around the block. No sign of smoke or leaking fluid. There is plenty of fluid in the mc for the clutch. No real problem of grinding the gears, slipping out of gear or shifting (although its a bit harder to find first from neutral vs the past). Havent had a chance to get under the car to take a look yet - any suggestions or key things to look for would be most appreciated. Thanks.

pgermond
October 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I have the identical set-up. Try bleeding the clutch slave cylinder and/or adjusting the rod that attach's to the clutch fork if you are having shifting issues. The "hot metal smell" :confused: doesn't sound like a clutch issue I've ever experienced.

homer
October 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Will do - at rest should their be play in the rod from the cylinder which pushes against the throw out arm? I do not have a return spring is it possible to mount one if so where?

pgermond
October 29th, 2007, 06:29 PM
There should be enough play/slack so you can spin the rod with your thumb and fore finger. I installed a return spring - just had to goof around until I found something that fit. I mounted a ground wire clip that is used on electrical boxes to the clutch fork for an anchor for one end of the spring.

homer
November 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Does anyone have a picture of how they set up a return spring on the throw out arm for the clutch?

Naumoff
November 5th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Somebody has to have one.
Sorry I can't help homer but I have a HTOB.

pgermond
November 5th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I have one, but the car isn't up on stands so it's impossible to take a picture until I jack it up. The weather has been to nice to even consider doing that yet.

Naumoff
November 5th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I have one, but the car isn't up on stands so it's impossible to take a picture until I jack it up. The weather has been to nice to even consider doing that yet.

Phil,
What kind of top poster are you? You should have taken a picture of it when you did it.:D

pgermond
November 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM
You're right, I should have. Guess I was just anxious to get it on the road ;)

Naumoff
November 6th, 2007, 02:35 AM
You're right, I should have. Guess I was just anxious to get it on the road ;)

I cannot relate to what you are saying at all.:D :p :shift::cool:

pgermond
December 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Not the best angle (view from the bottom looking up), but here is a pic of the return spring setup I used....

http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/3/1/5/PC280004_873443.JPG

Jerry Cowing
December 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Homer,
I had the same problem and burnt out my clutch the first 1000 miles or less. I attempted to adjust the clutch numerous times and the clutch either slipped from being adjusted too tight or I couldn't shift into reverse if I adjusted it very slightly looser (no synchronizers in reverse so it will grind if adjusted too loose, where as 1st gear will just be difficult at times if adjusted too loose). I had a 3/4 inch master cylinder and a 1 inch slave. I replaced both the 3/4 inch MC and 1 inch slave twice to no avail. I even added some washers at the clutch lever fulcrum to change the angle advantage which didn't help. I finally changed the burnt-out clutch and heat cracked pressure plate from a 10.5 inch to a 12 inch and it still slipped even after having a master mechanic check the clutch adjustment. He stated my MC and slave were miss-matched and adding a return spring would not help.

After replacing the clutch, I called Wilwood and discussed my problem with them plus a few other systems engineers and hydraulic experts. All the experts said the clutch MC should not be more than 1/8 inch smaller than the slave or the MC will not be able to move enough fluid to move the slave far enough to disengage the clutch adequately. Since a 3/4 inch MC is 1/4 inch smaller than the 1 inch slave, I changed my 3/4 inch MC to a 7/8 inch Wilwood MC so it is now 1/8 inch smaller than the 1 inch slave and I have not had a problem since. I have over 10,000 miles on this new clutch setup and have never had a problem shifting into reverse or 1st since.