PDA

View Full Version : Vibration sound underneath

Tony Radford
September 23rd, 2007, 04:33 AM
During a cruise yesterday, i noticed a sound coming from somewhere underneath the car that sounded like "buzzing" you might get from a loose sheet metal shroud. It's noticable when backing off the throttle from a 40 or 50 MPH cruising speed. It doesn't affect the ride. I made sure the side pipes were cinched up. What's under there that could be causing such a noise?

ralphscott
September 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
It could be the roll bar vibrating. Mine makes that sound and it is the roll bar.
Ralph

Aggressor
September 23rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Uniques seem to all have the "singing rollbar" but you would have noticed it before.
Time for detailed under car inspection.
Good luck

-Geary

ralphscott
September 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Actually mine developed it after about 4000 miles

Ralph

Tony Radford
September 24th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I've got 24,000 miles on my car. You'd think it would have happened before now. I'm going to have to find a lift.

Naumoff
September 25th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Tony,
Check your side pipe mounting bolts. They might be loose.

Tony Radford
September 25th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Tony, that's the first thing I checked (usual source of this noise), but no cigar. I've got to get a rear sway bar installed, so I suppose I'll take advantage of that time to do a physical inspection. It's definitely something I've never heard before. What ever it is, it sounds pretty loose and is noisy enough to hear well over the exhaust.

dmswann
September 25th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I made some spacer washers from a heavy duty truck bed mat (1/4" thick) and put them on my side pipe mounts and removed the steel washers. Maybe it is all phycological, but it seems to have eliminated some metal-on-metal noise.

Tony Radford
September 26th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I took a short drive yesterday and the noise is getting worse. Something metalic that is rotating is hitting something else - brake disc, flywheel, driveshaft etc. It's not consistent.

Naumoff
September 26th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Driveshaft loop?

If it is getting worse some sign of it should show or something will fall off.:o

will butterworth
September 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM
pick it up on jacks ,hand roll wheels-listen, something has worked loose, if don,t hear anything crank up and roll rear wheels--try to isolate noise at front or back--elimination of stuff, little by little so you can pinpoint where-what, can,t be a whole lot cause car ain,t that much. Good luck,Will-alabama --don,t forget bearings rear outside in hubs, sqyeaking noise, .

olblu66
September 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Tony. have any work done on the car lately? If so, check around that. Is you're shroud in the front nose of the car coming loose? I have a ramp i drive up on that you can use. Maybee to heads are better then one when tracking this down. I live in Lawrenceville and would be glad to help. PAT

Master
September 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Places to look, drive shaft safety loop, calipers/ rotors, e brake calipers. I also had a weld break on one of the supports on my pipes and it sounded like metal scraping metal. It was loud enough to hear over the car running. I would check that first.

Tony Radford
September 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys. I've had my issues with the side pipes over the years and that's definitely not it. I thought that maybe it was the big plate that sits between the block and bell housing, but it's bolted up. I wondered about the rear brake calipers. Aren't they partially covered by a removable shroud or housing of some sort?

Pat, have I had work done on the car lately? Are you kidding? New engine, new transmission, new front wheel bearings, re-shimming of back wheels, rebuilt drive shaft, suspension adjust, new tires, new balance, four wheel alignment, new pusher fans (propellers). I might take you up on the troubleshooting help. As loud and consistent as the sound has become, it probably won't be real hard to locate the part if I can just get underside access.

will butterworth
September 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
if you can get old blue to help man you got a leg up.Between ya,ll ---be sure to tell us what it was.Will-alabama

olblu66
September 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Let Me Know. Sat,or Sunday ?

Tony Radford
September 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Pat, just got back to town from NYC. Bill actually called me while I was on my way to LaGuardia Airport and asked about the symptoms and asking if he could help. I can do it any time. All I have to do is pick up my new John Deere lawn tractor in Dacula on Saturday. Cobras should come with a lift. Life would be so much easier!

olblu66
September 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I"ll be at home most of the time Sat. and Sun. Going out of town Wen. threw the next week-end.Ya a lift would be nice.I have some work done on mine by some local boys. They may be able to help out. Let me know.

Tony Radford
September 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Well, I got the car on a lift today and spent a while searching front to back looking for any signs of dangling hardware. I don't even see anything that looks like it could make teh sound I'm hearing. Maybe after what ever it is falls off, things will get quiet again.

Naumoff
September 30th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Tony, Keep us posting on what falls off.

olblu66
October 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hay Tony. I'm having a water pump installed on my car. I talked to the him about youre problem.He said you can call him or bring it in and put it on the rack.He seams to know about these things. You never know.His name is Jason. --770-962-9468.There on Old Norcross.

Tony Radford
October 2nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Pat, you never drive your car. How can you have a bad water pump?

Aggressor
October 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Inactivity - Ya know... your seals harden.

Tony Radford
October 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM
After chasing a number of dead ends, I'm now of the opinion that the sound is loose baffles in my sidepipes. I just had them recoated and I hate to drill holes, but I suppose I will when I can't stand it any longer.

Brent
October 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Too much motor.........

A mild 302 crate motor will fix your issues without drilling holes and provide a smoother ride with less fuel use. (-=

Master
October 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Brent, You Funny:D