PDA

View Full Version : Pusher fan problem

Tony Radford
September 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
I noticed that one of my pusher fans was sounding a bit rough. Upon inspection, I noticed that one of the blade petals is missing. Are the fan blades replacable or does it mean replacing the whole dual fan assembly? Damn! Depending on the answer, I may be living with a wierd sounding fan for a while.

pgermond
September 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
I believe the blades are replaceable. As I recall a few years back at Homecoming someone lost a blade and Alan had a replacement.

Aggressor
September 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Tony The following is a copy of my response to a somewhat similar question by Al Casaleenie.

"I replaced mine in 2002. My 427SC was supplied with nine inch fan blades. After my first overheating session laboring in traffic on a hot summer day, I replaced them with ten inch blades. I bought them at a local home appliance(washers, dryers, ranges, etc) parts supply house. Their main business is for the appliance repair trade but they do sell retail. Look in your yellow pages under appliance repair for supply houses in your area. Take your fan blade along and they can match it for diameter required, # of blades, & shaft diameter. My ten inch blades look like an exact match in shape and style to the originals. They do make a difference in air flow, but the FE will still overheat if it idles in traffic on a hot day for extended periods of time. I figure about 25% more sweep area with the ten inchers.
If you do not have any local sources for the blades email me and I can get a current price from our local dealer and purchase them for you."

Look at the third image in my members photo gallery.
- Geary

Tony Radford
September 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys. It looks as though grainger has a 10" fan that looks very similar. I'll hit the local phone book tomorrow.

olblu66
September 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Tony Grangers has the motor and the fan also. I think there is one of 85. I don't know if you can just walk in and buy one. you may have to be a dealer to buy from them. I'f you have a problem with them i can get what ever you need there. Pat

Tony Radford
September 4th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks Pat. I've got the part number and I know where the Grainger is. I bought stuff there many years ago when I was working for SA. What have you been up too? You putting any miles on your little blue car?

weaver
September 4th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Tony I didn't know you worked for Southern Automotive or do you mean Scientific Atlanta?

Alan

Tony Radford
September 4th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Alan, even being from Alabama, I would never make it through the interview with Bill. I had 17 years with Scientific Atlanta, just like the rest of N.E. Atlanta.

Tony Radford
September 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I went to Grangier at lunch time and scoped out both the 9" and 10" fans blades. The 9" is a perfect match for what was on my car (the one that broke). I opted to spring the additional $3 for the 10" blades. There's something to be said about driving a car that is constructed from household appliance parts. Whenever something broke on my Passat, the replacement part had to come from Germany and only VW carried it. I had more duct tape, springs and buss wire on that car than original components. Screw them. I'll take Home Depot and Grainger any day!

Aggressor
September 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Tony - On the 10 inch fans they are a relatively snug fit and you may have to flex the blades slightly if you have fan to radiator clearance problems. Spin them by hand to check. I worked mine to be as close as possible.

Geary

Tony Radford
September 5th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks Geary. I did notice that the 10s have broader fan petals. The first thing I did was to put a gloss finish with a little hand polish. I love these cheap retrofits.