PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key cyl replacement to a more secure unit!

davids2toys
August 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM
owned my car for 2 weeks now, and 2 people have already told me to get a new cyl and key, because the present one they said could be started very easily with paperclips cand other devices, I dont know if this is the original key and cyl or not. The guys said it was the same as the golf carts here at work...lol
Anybody know what would be the best way to go here?

Naumoff
August 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
owned my car for 2 weeks now, and 2 people have already told me to get a new cyl and key, because the present one they said could be started very easily with paperclips cand other devices, I dont know if this is the original key and cyl or not. The guys said it was the same as the golf carts here at work...lol
Anybody know what would be the best way to go here?

I have a hidden kill switch. Not much to choose from for these cars.
You should have a battery disconnect switch on your car which kills all the power. Most of them are in the rear wheel well on the driver side.
Kill the power when you leave and install the kill switch for the ignition and you should be set.

davids2toys
August 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Well, I got the battery shut-off covered anyway...thanks

nolastyankee
August 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
A kill switch is incredibly easy to wire and much less work than finding a new ignition switch. Use a single pole-single throw ($1.99 at Radio Shack) to interrupt the starter signal out of the center stud of the ignition switch. Should be be purple wire right in the center, #39 if I am not mistaken. Hide it under the dash and nobody will find it!

Naumoff
August 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM
If you have an MSD ingnition box and using magnetic pick up you can take the white wire and use a hidden switch to ground it when you don't want it to fire.

THEFT DETERRENT

The MSD provides the opportunity to easily install a theft deterrent kill switch (Figure 4).

White Wire Trigger

When using the WHITE wire to trigger the MSD, install a switch across the magnetic pickup
VIOLET wire to ground. When the VIOLET wire is grounded, the vehicle will crank but not
start.

Magnetic Pickup Trigger

When using the mag pickup to trigger the MSD, install a switch to the WHITE wire and the
other side to ground. When the WHITE wire is grounded, the vehicle will crank but will not
start.

Here is a link to THe MSD site with install instructions
http://www.msdignition.com/downld1.htm

davids2toys
August 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks to both of you...I will look into it!