PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Adventure

bstandley1
July 27th, 2007, 02:07 AM
As I was pulling into a local service station yesterday, a friendly patron remarked that I was losing coolant. Sure enough, green stuff was pouring out from the general vicinity of the radiator. Fortunately, I was only five miles from home, so I made back without incident. After waiting a couple of hours, I started my detective work. I checked the puller fan and the left side bracket for it looked uncomfortably close to the radiator. I pulled the fan and sure enough there was a leak directly behind the fastener holding the fan to the bracket. I quickly discovered why the radiator had contacted the bracket .... the bolt through the radiator tab had loosened .. a lot!

The only upside to the loose bolt was not needing a socket to remove it. Never occurred to me that it would loosen up. I'd recommend you all take a look and see if your radiator is properly anchored.

I'll find out tomorrow if the radiator can be repaired ...

Bob

weaver
July 27th, 2007, 05:29 AM
If your radiator is copper and brass they should be able to repair it. Over time any bolt can loosen up especially if the builder didn't use lock nuts. I recommend checking as many bolts as you can get to every year or so.

Alan

mgreene
July 27th, 2007, 05:38 AM
If it's one of the Aluminum Griffin radiators, you're out of luck - not repairable as the core is epoxied, not brazed to the side tanks.

dmswann
July 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Alan is right. My car was completed in 1998 and gets a thorough tightening at least annually. Luckly, I have a hydraulic lift in my garage which makes the chore pretty enjoyable. It typically takes two beers to complete since I both work and drink slowly.

pgermond
July 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. As Alan said, and is discussed frequently - everything needs to be tightened periodically.... even the least obvious. Almost lost a door once, and most recently a door latch!

bstandley1
July 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Just a quick update: my local radiator guy (Ed at Arctic Radiator Service in Bremerton WA) repaired the leak for $40. I was really surprised he could fix it .. he said it's tricky but doable. He also expressed his opinion about aluminum radiators in general (not very positive). Just for grins, I asked him how much a replacement copper and brass radiator would cost .... $900 ... ouch! I reinstalled it today, filled it up with coolant and took her out for a forty mile test ride. Didn't leak a drop! Life is good.

Bob

pgermond
July 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM
The Cobra Gods smiled on you today :) $40 - Not too shabby.... you have to feel good about that!!!

bstandley1
July 29th, 2007, 12:22 AM
They sure did! I'm one happy camper ..

Bob

ralphscott
July 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Bob, what did he use or do to fix the radiator?

Ralph

bstandley1
July 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Ralph,

According to Ed, he "wire brushed, etched, then used a special hot melt process" to fix the leak. Says he's been using for over twenty years. I found the following video on the internet that sure looks like how it's done ...

http://www.muggyweld.com/1clip3.html

Bob

ralphscott
July 30th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks Bob pretty neat. It appeared very little heat was applied. I'll make a note to reference this clip for the future. If it fails let us know...

Ralph

Naumoff
July 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I wonder what is in the Super Alloy 1...?

TurnpikeBoy
July 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I wonder what is in the Super Alloy 1...?

...........well.........we COULD tell you, but then we'd have to kill you....... :)

pgermond
July 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Damn..... he made that look simple on the video. Good to know :)

Naumoff
July 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
...........well.........we COULD tell you, but then we'd have to kill you....... :)

JB weld works on the radiator too.:D