PDA

View Full Version : All's well that ends well

Tony Radford
July 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Well, after months of being cobra-less, my car is back where I can reach it. Along the journey, she received a complete engine rebuild (remachined block, new cam/lifters, re-polish on intake, valve covers, air cleaner and water pump, replacement of Mighty Demon with Holly 4150-based Peformance Carburator), re-coated headers and side pipes, new front wheelbearings, suspension set up by J3 Motorsports, new driveshaft u-joint (source of vibration) and new rubber all the way around. I even upgraded the existing CD/radio head unt with a Pioneer DEH 5900 with enough punch to hear Jan and Dean at 80 MPH.

I know it's been a while since I was able to experience a vibration-free cruise, but I swear that the perfomance of my engine above 4,500 RPMs is astounding. It was always strong, but whether it's the new carb or rebuild, the incease in performance is very noticable. It took 6 hours to get the finger prints off after having been fondled by half the mechanics in Atlanta, but with the help of brother Zaino, she looks new once again. It's amazing how of a difference newly coated pipes and headers can make.

Any thought I had of bailing the Cobra scene if I ever got her back quickly diminished after the initial test drive. As a matter of fact, it's like it started all over again. For me, it's all about exhilleration. I'll be running her back by Gran Turismo East for a precision balance and she'll be back to "smooth as glass". Thanks to Lyle and the Southern Automotive team and the folks at J3.

Naumoff
July 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Great news Tony. Any pictures?
Now enjoy it. :shift:

will butterworth
July 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
great, I was a little surprised by bumping up to 383 in the 351. More than I need, for an old hand. Glad you have her back in running shape. Mayby we will get to see you this summer at a show somewhere. We want to go to the canton show, say have lots of cars there.Bremen rained out last sat. night. And gremlins got me too,loose cable. Will-alabama