PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane preparedness

wlewis
June 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
Since I live in a low area near the water, this time of year I always have to prepare for hurricanes. During last year's hurricane season I moved my Cobra to an aircraft hanger further inland, but in doing so, I lost the use of the car while at home.
I've recently thought about my car trailer, a 20 foot enclosed Haulmark model. I keep it at my business, also further inland. What should I do with it?
Have any of you trailer owners who live in hurricane affected areas ever noticed how high winds affect your parked trailer? It could be the best place or the worst place to store a Cobra during a Cat 1-3 hurricane. A Cat 4 or 5 will ruin everthing. Any thoughts?
Walter

Brent
June 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
MOVE

That is what I would do.

JeepSnake
June 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Hmmm... I'm with Brent on this one!

Don't know about any homeowners' association rules, etc., but... If you could park the trailer at home without getting into trouble with the neighbors, do that. Then, drive the Cobra all you want. First sign of a hurricane headed your direction, load the Cobra and head for that aircraft hangar with the trailer, Cobra, & all.

wlewis
June 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Maybe I confused the issue with too much info about locations of house and Cobra, but here are my questions:
Anyone's stored car trailer ever ride out a hurricane or tropical storm?
If so, did it hold up well enough to protect a car inside?
Walter

Russ Dickey
June 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
No personal experience with a hurricane, but a standard 20-foot trailer with a Cobra inside probably only weighs around 4500 lbs, and with it's high profile I think that it would be prone to being easily blown over.

Even if it didn't tip over, the exterior walls would be easily penetrated by debris flying around at over 100 mph.

excelguru
June 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
I think you should park it at my house. :D

wlewis
June 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Russ. Kind of what I was afraid I'd hear.
Walter

pgermond
June 23rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
MOVE

That is what I would do.

I would second that.

Slither
June 23rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
MOVE

That is what I would do.

I would second that.

Yah sure... move... I bet there are some good deals in Brent's area after the tornados lately:rolleyes: ... and with the wildfires, floods, and mudslides on the west coast you might get a good deal out there in Phil's area, too:o.

...don't mean to sound sarcastic, but, quite frankly, wether it's hurricanes, tornados, wildfires, flooding along most rivers... you choose your poison, 'cause you can't really avoid natural disasters:eek:. At least with the hurricanes, you get plenty of warning. The tornados and floods can get on top of you in a heartbeat.

Like already stated above, if you want to enjoy the waterfront area in Savanah(by the way, the chocolate creme brulee' at Uncle Bubba's is unbelievable, but if you go, say hi to Paula for me), then load up what you are not willing to lose and take it with you when a storm comes. I don't think that you are protecting the car very much with the trailer. Down here in Katrina it would have been a barge, and then it would have sunk after being pummeled by debris. The aluminum topper on my pickup turned to confetti. Use the trailer to get the car to safety.

Another option is to spend the money on a home structure that will withstand the wrath of mother nature... although, you might have to sell the Cobra to pay for it;). Storm-proof structural analysis is the current plan... if we decide to build back here...

Did I mention earthquakes???

Brent
June 24th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Natural disasters can happen anywhere. Very true.

Good point, however, I will not build a house on the side of a volcano. I will not build a house on a dirt bank in California. I will not build a house next to the ocean below sea level and keep a pallet of plywood in my garage. I also do not mean to be sarcastic, but, some places are great to visit but not where I would want to live.

Besides, if you live in paradise where do you go on vacation? I live on flat ground in the midle of ugly corn fields and the smell of soot from all of the industry in the area. Cancer in our area is off the charts and Alergy medications are sold by the pound. Our local river has visibility of about 1/4" and looks like a toxic waste dump. We go to your neck of the woods for a week and think we died and went to heaven.

Why would I ever move from here? (-:

RJacobsen
June 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Hey Phil, did you mention that it is currently 105 degrees here. Not exactly Paradise.

pgermond
June 24th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Hey Phil, did you mention that it is currently 105 degrees here. Not exactly Paradise.

True, but the humidity isn't 95% either ;)

will butterworth
June 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Just hi-tail-it to my house with the car, and don,,t forget to bring the keys.Me and Zach and Cy will pet it to death, drive in parade, bowden car show, newnan, venture off to dallas, canton, show it off. A little gas money would be a kind jesture. Just alabama kidding, tis a tough one, reckon I would just load and run .Will-alabama