PDA

View Full Version : Chrome side pipes

for27
June 4th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Hi everyone,
My wife,Theresa, and I were at Homecoming last month and had a great time. During showoff day at the factory I had a conversation with a fellow Cobra nut about chroming side pipes. He told me about having his done in Houston, Tx., and of course after writing down all of the info I have misplaced said piece of paper. If you are the person I spoke with pleeeze reply back to me .
Help a Cobra brother having another senior moment....

By the way, Alan gave me all the downsides re: plating the pipes.

Lou in Marietta :confused:

Justin Upchurch
June 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Both Kelly Mullins aka Bittentoo aka OrangeOne and I have chrome sidepipes out of the Houston Area. Kelly used Airline Plating 713-692-6369 to get his done. Mine were done at another shop here in Houston. I will get the name and number for them and post it when I get the chance. You may also want to find a motorcycle shop in your local area and find out who they use. My uncle took my pipes to be coated with several other things he was doing at the time. When he went to pick them up the first time he did ask them to be recoated, which the shop did do. So make sure the chromer has a clear understanding of your expectations when you engage the chromer and make sure that they will warranty the work.
Kelly was the local reference that Alan gave me when I wanted to look at a Unique. When I first looked at his car the pipes were cereamic coated and that was the one thing Kelly said he would have changed about the car, and he did. There are several other Cobra owners in the Houston area with chrome sidepipes, some that are 5+ years old and they still look great.

Justin

for27
June 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Hey Justin,
Bingo!...it was Airline Plating..thanks alot..by the way, are you running a 427 or 289...Alan told me earlier that 289 is relatively easy to plate vs the configuration of the 427 pipe exit. He told me about not pleasant experiences plating 427's.

Lou

bittentoo
June 5th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Justin, thanks for doing a great job of posting the info.

Lou, my advice is get what you want! I've seen and heard all the arguments for and against chrome side pipes. If you get a good job, they will look great for a long time. If you don't, then they will look just like a bad cereamic job.
And it doesn't matter which coating you have, both will burn the ****e out of you!!!!

Good luck!
Kelly

for27
June 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks Kelly,
I appreciate the fast input from you and Justin. I spoke with Richard at
Airline Plating this afternoon and he was great regarding turn around time and explaining the situation about plating the section of pipe where it exits the body. I'm considering having a set of pipes done for show purposes and keeping the ceramics that are on the car for every day use.
Thanks again.

Lou