PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Stop

Justin Upchurch
May 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM
I'm using a Hydrauilc TOB, and am using a long mounting bolt as a pedal stop. How much pedal travel should I allow for before the pedal hits the stop?

Justin

Brent
May 1st, 2006, 11:45 AM
I adjusted my stop so that when the clutch released I had about an inch of pedal travel left. Measured at the pedal not the pivot.

My pedal would move about 3" before the clutch completely released.

Did you fire up the beast this weekend?

Justin Upchurch
May 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
We fired her up and it sounds really mean for a Hydraulic roller. Bittentoo came by and helped out as well. I used the power bleader (Motive) on the brakes and clutch and I can't say it worked very well. We hope to run the car through the gears on jack stands tonight and put some miles on it later this week. Bittentoo talked me into not messing with the interior until I get a few miles on the car. To say the least I am cutting it close for homecoming.

Justin

bittentoo
May 1st, 2006, 01:01 PM
Well, I drank his beer...........

and kept his wife company...........

and offered advice

Brent
May 1st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Well....................I believe 2 out of 3.

You figure it out.

Master
May 1st, 2006, 07:42 PM
Kelly, you silver tongued devil you.:D

twanita
May 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM
justin, i'm on my third time around bleeding these brakes with the motive bleeder and they still are not right. what did you finally use. getting tired of jacking it up. pedal seems hard but brakes are weak. played with bias bar so that about 2/3 of thread shows on front brake side. plenty of side play (1/4") at the pedal. jim o.

eliminator
May 2nd, 2006, 05:24 AM
If you don't seat the pads to the rotors you will NOT have good brakes.
We have covered this before......in previous threads.
Go to a big parking lot and get some speed up and lay into the brakes hard. It will take 4-6 runs (tenth of a mile or so) before they heat up good and start locking up the wheels. After that go for a nice slow cruise, minimum stops and let the rotors cool down. Now the brake pads and rotors are seated and you will have brakes.

Justin, I am curious, what problems did you have with the Motive Bleeder??

Are you still planning on driving to Homecoming......if so, thats a long shakedown cruise. I would really think hard about that, around 750 miles each way, is that correct?

bittentoo
May 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM
Brent,

I'm practicing for Homecoming!!!

Justin Upchurch
May 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Rick,
I plan to trailer the car to homecoming, finished or not. Hopefully, I will get it as close to done as possible, but I only have one weekend left before homecoming and unfortunatly I have to work late a couple of nights this week.
I'm not sure if the problem was the Motive power bleeder or not. It seemed to do the clutch fairly well, but the brakes were still very soft. Some of this could be due to the fact that I did not have the pedal hooked up when I bled the brakes and had never depressed the brake pedal. Last night I decided to just bleed the brakes manualy and got a good stiff pedal. I have never run manual brakes on a street car, so I am not real sure how they are supposed to feel.
This brings up another subject. Who the hell decided these cars needed extended foot boxes? Kelly looked down into the foot box and asked if I would like him to take me for my first drive because there is no way I will be able to depress the clutch!
I'm glad Kelly only brought the truck over, half of the neighborhood's women would have gone missing :)

Justin

twanita
May 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
rick, thanks. i found your post about seating the brakes . i will try that and i bet you are right because my pedal is rock hard. i take back what i said about the motive bleeder because the only air it was not removing was between my ears. all of my prior searches were leading to balance bar issues and bleeding. archive searching really helps but if you don't have the right key word the answers often stay hidden. jim o.

eliminator
May 3rd, 2006, 05:28 AM
Your right, the key word in the search is important, sometimes they are hard to find. Let me know how the brakes work after you seat the pads.