PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp

wlewis
February 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Any ideas why my water temp has suddenly began to fluctuate upward? (351W). Temp used to run consistant 195. Recently, I noticed when shifting around 4500, temp increased to about 210. After shift, it dropped back to 195. Later noticed same fluctuation at constant rpm below 3500. I drained about a gallon of 50/50 coolant/water mixture and replenished with distilled water and added a bottle of water wetter. Now, temp is just under 190, but still increases, sporadically up to 200-210 and comes back down. Hard to figure, especially this time of year where air temp has been in 50's. Fans don't make any difference at speed. I worry about in the summer when temp is 90-100. I've done nothing engine to change anyting. Oil temp has not changed. Don't remember what it is, but it is far to left side of gauge scale. Any ideas guys?
Walter

Justin Upchurch
February 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Your water pump could be going out. Try some REDLINE water wetter, should bring it down another 10 degrees.

Justin

PS
I got the templates, a big thank you.

GREENHOUSE
February 27th, 2006, 03:49 PM
You may have an air bubble in the system and it's time to change the t-stat with a good brand. The t-stats fail from time to time.
Mike

Buzz
February 28th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Walt, if it's a quick fluctuation like you describe during a moderately hard shift and irregular fluctuation at constant RPM, then your problem may be an electrical one at the gauge rather than an actual engine temp issue. May be something simple like a loose ground behind the dash.

wlewis
February 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I've already added Water Wetter and it helped a bit. It brought "normal" temp from 195 to just below 190, but fluctuation continues.