PDA

View Full Version : Floor Mats

wlewis
February 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Several months ago I inquired about floor mats through this Forum. Phil Souza was kind enough to send me his paper templates to use to have a set made. I finally got around to having a set of custom made mats through California CarCover and they are great! If anyone would like the templates, I'd be happy to pass them on.
Walter

twanita
February 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
how about a nice photo? also, how much did they charge? thanks, jim o

Justin Upchurch
February 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I would like to use them.

Justin

pgermond
February 8th, 2006, 08:40 PM
You won't find a better mat (IMHO) than the custom made ones from California Car Cover... they are about $80, if my memory serves. It is best to make your own template, or be certain the ones you use are exact... because that is what you will receive.

236 237

nolastyankee
February 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Justin,
Any interest in going in together and getting two sets of FIA mats from California Car Cover? The templates will be slightly different from the 427 mats.

Justin Upchurch
February 9th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Brian,
Sounds good to me, and I think Phil S's template is the 289 template.

Justin

wlewis
February 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not computer smart enough to figure out how to attatch a picture, but the above pictures are accurate. My total cost, including 6% tax and shipping was $105. Phil's template is cut for a 427 with a cutout area marked for a 289. With explanation, they should be able to make both.
One thing to note: Driver's mat does not include the footwell area. Since that area wears the most, I wanted to put something there. I spoke to Calif Carcover about making a 3rd piece, a small, square piece for the footwell, but they said would charge for two complete sets of mats. Instead, I took a carpet scrap and made one quite easily.
Justin, Brian, if one of you will send me a mailing address, I'll send you the template.
Walter

Justin Upchurch
February 10th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Walter, You can send them to me.
Brian, when I send them in to get made do you just want me to order two sets?

Justin Upchurch
1103 E Hampton
Pearland, Tx 77584

wlewis
February 10th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Justin,
I'm also sending you a set of same shape carpet scraps that I used to test the fit. It's easier to lay the carpet in place than a curled up piece of paper. You'll be pleased with the finished product.
Walter

souzape
February 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Some trivia background.... I got the templates from Phil Germond who has a 427 car. I seem to remember that the only difference was the notch required for the forward braced roll bar in the FIA. Anyway, Phil G was the originator of the template.

Phil Souza

wlewis
February 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks to both Phils!

nolastyankee
February 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Does everybody who gets the California mats stop the drivers side mat at the footwell?

eliminator
February 13th, 2006, 05:40 AM
I had mine go down in the footwell and up the back side of the footwell. It terminates there and dosn't go to the back of the footbox. The drivers side can be go several differnt ways, tough area to work with.

nolastyankee
February 13th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Justin,
I think I'll draw up a set of templates that include the drivers footbox which means I'll likely be ordering on my own. Please let me know how yours turn out and shoot a couple pictures!

peter
October 15th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Great thread. Did anyone figure out how to include carpeting the drop box? I would like to order a set. thanks peter

davids2toys
August 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
BUMP Bump...

davids2toys
August 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Any other nice floor mats out there?

Naumoff
August 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Great thread. Did anyone figure out how to include carpeting the drop box? I would like to order a set. thanks peter

I found a piece of black powder coated aluminum diamond plate from the hardware store and cut it to fit snug and dropped it in place over the piece of carpet that was covered in vinyl.
The stock piece kept bunching up on me with my big feet. It is very suttle and you only notice it is diamond plate if you stick your head in there. I'll take a pic and post when I get a chance.

davids2toys
August 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Cool, looking fwd to it...thanks

Naumoff
August 8th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Cool, looking fwd to it...thanks

Here you go David. The flash has lightened up the carpet, it doesn't stand out like that in person. I was AutoXing last year and I guess the aggressive foot work was making the heels of my feet bunch up the carpet. This is working well for me. I am very happy with it.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/9/Diamondplatedroppedfootbox006.JPG

weaver
August 8th, 2007, 05:52 AM
We are now selling floor mats with the Unique logo that cover the drop floor area, we sold about 25 sets at this years homecoming and I am about to place a new otrder. For pictures go to our company site.

Alan

eliminator
August 8th, 2007, 07:00 AM
They are nice, picked up a set for Juan's 289 at Homecoming and I was surprised. Great set of mats, I am very picky and I would give them a solid A rating.

davids2toys
August 8th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Here you go David. The flash has lightened up the carpet, it doesn't stand out like that in person. I was AutoXing last year and I guess the aggressive foot work was making the heels of my feet bunch up the carpet. This is working well for me. I am very happy with it.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/gallery/files/1/4/6/9/Diamondplatedroppedfootbox006.JPG
Looks great, I will have to keep my eyes open.

davids2toys
August 8th, 2007, 08:48 AM
We are now selling floor mats with the Unique logo that cover the drop floor area, we sold about 25 sets at this years homecoming and I am about to place a new otrder. For pictures go to our company site.

Alan
Ok Alan, I'm a dumb-a**, how do I get to the companys site?
Nevermind, I got it, they dont look like they have any reinforcement or provision for the drop down section on the drivers side, the pic looks like it is just straight carpet, I cant really tell, could you clarify this, or post a close up of the area...otherwise ,I like this floormat a lot!

Jerry Cowing
August 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I've also had the floor mats bunch up while driving. They just keep moving forward. I've decided that when my carpet wears out, I will coat the driver's floor with Rhinolining or a similar product. This way when you are caught out in the rain, the driver's foot well won't hold water like a pool and it will drain and dry faster, keep your feet dry, etc. I may leave the carpet in the passenger's compartment or I may Rhinoline it also.

Rhinolining would sure make drying your car out easier and last much longer than carpet. Much Easier to clean stains and dirt out - just use a vacuum and damp cloth. Many many advantages to not using carpet in the footwells. The orginals didn't have carpet in the footwells -- it was bare fiberglass on the originals. Can't remember if the fiberglass was over the aluminum or just a fiberglass sheet. The originals had fiberglass in the driver's side and carpet in the passenger side.

JeepSnake
August 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM
OK, here's some help on the floormats.

First, the mats are extremely high quality pieces. There is no vinyl or plastic "heel pad" on the topside of the driver's mat because you probably won't ever need one. The weave or tuft count or pile or whatever you call it (???) of these mats is waaaay up there - the fabric is extremely "plush" or thick. The pile is similar to what you will find in Cadillac, Lincoln, or German imports.

On the underside of the mats, you will find a very good set of nibs for grabbing the carpet. In addition to the nibs, in the first photo you can see the strip where the heavy backing has been deleted to allow the driver's mat to fold and fit into the drop footwell correctly. These mats have NOT moved after I put them in the car, and they haven't bunched at all. (I discarded the previous floormats on the day we bought the car after I had one bunch up under the throttle pedal!!!)

The second photo shows how the passenger mat is coped around the forward brace rollbar on a 289. This also works if you have the 2-person forward braced rollbar on a 427 like Mom & Dad have.

These are an excellent addition to the car, and act as a very nice "trim" piece for the interior - i.e. they help give the interior a more finished look.

(Of course, if you're going for the racing look, then that's not a factor!)