PDA

View Full Version : glass cleaning - spots???

JeepSnake
August 30th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Hey y'all,

This is not for the Cobra, but could definitely apply...

After the Chevelle resto, the windshield has what look like water spots on the outside that I can't seem to clean off. Some just look like the spots you get on glass & paint when a car sits in the elements every day, others look like they have an almost mineral residue around the edges (I assumed it was polishing glaze from buffing).

We've washed & cleaned with Mequiar's car wash soap, 3M Glass Cleaner (alcohol base), Windex (vinegar base), and I even rubbed a small area with acetone in frustration - all with no luck! I'm down to the point of trying wiping the glass down with Purple Magic cleaner, or even with cigarette lighter fluid (I've used it with moderate success on other windshields for similar spots). Of course, I'm afraid these could accidentally get on the paint.

Anybody ever run into something similar to this and had good luck getting them cleaned off?[?]

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

rdorman
August 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Order the glass polishing kit from Griots, that should do the trick.
Rick

http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
http://www.londoncobrashow.com

nolastyankee
August 30th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Zach,
I had something similar on my '66 Mustang. They were calcium deposits from water spots over time. I used a glass polish from Griots Garage as Rick suggests above. It's about $10 and works wonders. Your elbow may be sore, but your glass will be crystal clear.

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

davebetts
August 30th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I would try Zaino Brothers glass polish. It's a compound for glass(smells good too). Must buy from internet. I think it's www.zainostore.com
Also, I've used toothpaste, again very fine compound to scrub mineral spots away. Always try a small spot before putting it on the whole area and always use a cotton towel (not cotton & polyester blend). GOOD LUCK!!

Mike Geddes
August 31st, 2005, 04:50 AM
Hi Zach.
Why don't you try that kitchen cleaner called 'Bon Ami'.
I've used it with great sucess on many wind sheilds.
It's actually recommended by many of the automotive glass
manufacturers.
Cheers......Mike

Mike Geddes

JeepSnake
August 31st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Why didn't I think of that?!?!?

I've been stuck in the thought of "cleaning" the glass... "polishing" never occurred to me![B)]

I've got a polishing kit for plastic convertible windows out in the shed, so I'll try it out when I get home today!

THANKS!!!

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

spd4me
August 31st, 2005, 03:06 PM
Have you tried a razor blade. If the car has been outside some overspray from elsewhere may have drifted onto windshield. That happened to me when I was parked at a landscape nursery and they were spraying with a "Wilt-Prof" liquid that seals moisture into plant leaves. Almost never got off.

JeepSnake
September 6th, 2005, 06:37 PM
SUCCESS!!!:D

"Bar Keeper's Friend" powdered kitchen cleaner for stainless steel & glass cooktops finally did the trick with minimal elbow grease. Got the windshield all clear except for a few scratches and nicks that were already there.

Thanks for all the help, and ON TO PIGEON FORGE! [8D]

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)