PDA

View Full Version : How close the Unique is to the orginal Cobra

Naumoff
June 26th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Has anyone checked out this profile comparison of Cobras?

The ERA is not as close as I thought. If you think the CSX4000 and the Kirkams are right.
They put the Unique down aways from the top, but if you look at them you can see it looks like Shelby and Kirkam copied Unique's body.
I came to that conclusion since the Weavers where making replicas before the fore mentioned.:D

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

pgermond
June 26th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Tony,

That comparision isn't in any particular order - if it were, the FFR would be at the bottom ;)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Naumoff
June 26th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I think they put the Unique down aways because to me it looks more accurate to the CSX Car. The ERA front end droops down. Not to say its not a good looking replica but the British are all about a stiff upper lip. And the ERA's front looks a little soft.

We need Juan to move them around for us so that the Unique is right over the ERA. Then we can have a better comparison.

Juan! HELP!:D

Tony

Unique 427 #4279480 427s/o Nascar toploader 3.31 Jag IRS

weaver
June 27th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Our molds were taken off a original 427 street car, we added the hood scoop which we bought from Cobra Restorers and later added the SC lip on the rear fenders. The original car was parked beside one of our early replicas at the Barrett Jackson auction and if it were not for the interior you couldn't tell them apart, ours had a red leather interior with different gauges. I kept pictures for years of the 2 cars side by side but don't have a clue where they are today, that was 26 years ago.

Alan

clayfoushee
June 27th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Alan,

You know how I feel........it's incredibly accurate and no one makes a better looking or stronger body than you guys.

I think the continuous controversy in the replica world stems from the fact that since the original bodies were banged out in different versions over time, and then tweaked during various restorations, no two originals ever look the same to me. In particular, some of the original 427's I've seen have much more radically flaired rear haunches. I prefer the Unique look.....it's just more pleasing to me, and that's all that counts.

In my opinion, there is no single original look, so accuracy is an elusive target, except to a certain vin number.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

lonnie
June 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Clay
Couldn't agree more. I even found a picture of a real Cobra with a front
grill spliter like mine.
Lonnie

pseim
June 28th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Lonnie,
Have you got some detail pictures of the splitter? I have also seen that on "street" versions of the 427, but nothing closeup.

Paul

Russ Dickey
June 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I've always regarded the Unique's as very asthetically authentic, which is why I ended up buying one. The rear fenders have the right amount of "droop" plus the correct arch over the wheels. The only exterior feature that is a "replica" giveaway for me on the Unique 427 cars is that the roll-bar posts are not visible behind the driver's seat, but instead are hidden by the rear bulkhead. I'm sure that some crafty builder could change that, though.

However, I would add that this feature (bulkhead covering rollbar) is correct on the 289 FIA cars.

Unique 289FIA - Chassis #9229 - Viking Blue