PDA

View Full Version : mgb front end shocks

ericeckhoff
March 26th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Has anyone used kyb shocks on the old style front end ? If not what shocks do you recommend ? Make and model number if possible. I am not ready to change out the entire front end yet, just want to replace shocks.
Thanks for the help!
Eric

rdorman
March 27th, 2005, 05:50 AM
There you are Eric! I posted a reply on CC for this topic.
Rick

rdorman
March 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Any one know that part that Unique supplied? I just went through a catalog of sizes and what worked the best was off a chevy 3/4 ton truck! Obviously, they are way on the stiff side. I would like to replace them with a more reasonably valved shock.
Thanks
Rick

Brent
March 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM
I think AFCO makes the BEST shocks money can buy right now. Check them out and call Eric Saffel if you want to talk tech. or sales. He is a guru for sure.

http://www.afcoracing.com/

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

rdorman
March 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I know if you give a good shock shop a few bits of information they can valve up a set for you. Does any one know the unsprung weight of their car by chance? How about the motion ratios? I am a bit to lazy to pull the coil springs out! If you want to race then I would still get a double adjustable using the recommended valving as a mid point.
Rick

ericeckhoff
March 31st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks Rick and Brent for the info. I will pull a shock off and go shopping.
Eric

rdorman
April 1st, 2005, 05:12 AM
Sorry I don't have the specific part number. If you call Maurice on Monday I would imagine he could give it to you. From there you could check the application and cross reference.
Rick

rdorman
April 1st, 2005, 05:13 AM
Oh! Please post what you come up with!
Thanks
Rick

rdorman
April 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Here are two part numbers that you can use for cross reference for fit. The application is '83 C-20 3/4 ton. Gabriel 32041 or gas-matic 59043. Both will fit but I think they are valved to high for our cars.
Rick