PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks...

patrija
September 24th, 2004, 01:01 PM
I'm waiting on my new engine to be completed, so I have too much time to think about the next projects.

I have the standard Unique rear shock setup (1998) and think my rear shocks are about ready to be replaced. If I pull up on the rear fenderwell, the rear of the car will rise up and stay at that height - it doesn't appear to settle back down until I push it back down. This happens on both sides. Now that I think about it, I guess that I have not tried leaving it overnight to see if it settles over time. I talked to Allen awhile ago and he recommended taking it over the guys over at Pro-Shocks, but have not had a chance to get there yet. Anyone else experience this?

clayfoushee
September 24th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Mine does exactly the same thing front or back, also a 98 w/ standard set-up.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Nneits
September 24th, 2004, 01:55 PM
That's a pretty normal response from good shocks and tight suspension. It's really just reflective of a gentle bind across the suspension. Don't worry about it. Worry if you lift up and everything settles back to normal very easily.

I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it. -Elwood P. Dowd

Brent
September 24th, 2004, 01:56 PM
A standard suspension system will act completely different than an IRS set-up. An IRS set-up is like a coil over front suspension in that when you raise up on the body the suspension will stay at that height ( to a certain point ) until the car is rolled back and forth or driven. When you raise up on the rear of the car the bottom of the rear tires are then pulled toward the center of the car. This side loads the rear tires and will not allow the car to settle until the car rolled or driven. On a straight axle car this does not occur.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

clayfoushee
September 24th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks Brent and Nniets, I thought it was normal too, and my car handles well, never bottoms out. I was confused about the comment attributed to Alan about getting it checked out.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

patrija
September 24th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks all, this is good news and something I can cross off my list for now. I may still run over to Pro-Shock to see what they would recommend and charge for an upgrade to adjustable shocks with coil overs in the rear. Guess I will have to move on to a new project ... thanks again!

Master
September 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Brent, you da man!:)

Scott
SA 428
3:54

gasman
September 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Patrick, Where is pro shock?

Sorry to hear about your motor. Hope it will be ready soon.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

patrija
September 25th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Steve - Did you get down to Southern Automotive on Friday? I hope your happy with it! Not sure what the status of mine is yet, but hopefully getting it next week.

Proshocks is in Lawrenceville. Website is below. They do not have any facilities there to work on cars, etc.
http://www.proshocks.com

gasman
September 26th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Patrick, Yes I picked up the motor and delivered it to the shop. It will be installed Monday. I thought it sounded pretty good.

They were all over your motor trying to get you on the road.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

patrija
September 26th, 2004, 06:49 PM
That's great Steve, I can't wait to see and hear that "beast" in your car!!!