PDA

View Full Version : Wilwood Brake Components

eliminator
July 29th, 2004, 01:32 PM
While doing some brake work I did a little homework:).
This information was supplied by Wilwoods Tech Personnel.
The operating PSI of their brake systems is 900-1200 PSI. This is true for the small, intermediate, and big brake sets.
The compact aluminum master cylinder (.750 bore)we have puts out 1300 psi with the Wilwood Peddle's, peddle ratio for the clutch and brakes is 7 to 1.
The main reasons the brakes don't stop on a dime is:
1.Mechanical, not power.
2.Improper pad and rotor seating.

I was guilty of #2...
Put on a new set of Poly Matrix pads supplied by Wilwood (made by Raybestos).
When to the local High School parking lot and did 20 MPH passes , braked to zero. Then 30 MPH passes braked to zero, finally a couple of 35 to 40 MPH passes to zero. Probably 10 passes overall.
The hotter the brakes and rotors got the better until I was sliding the front tires[^]. Once the brakes are good and hot you let them cool completely.
So I drove up the road about 6-7 miles (not touching the brakes) and turned around and returned to put it in the garage, brakes were cool.
Now they work better than ever:D.
If your doing a build this will cure your brake problems...
Check all fittings for leaks.
I used Wilwood 570 Hi-Temp fluid in all reservoirs.
You can get the fluid, pads, and brakes from our friends at Unique Motorcars.

Rick

spd4me
July 30th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Rick
That's some good info. For those of us who just put the pads on and started driving, I wonder if doing it different would help? I remember Alan saying to put the pads on and go do a panic stop from about 60 mph to put immediate heat into the pads to set the pads. Are those the same as Wilwood "Cold Stopper" pads?
Bob

eliminator
July 30th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Bob,

Yep, the panic stop at 60 MPH wont put the heat in the pads and rotor to make them 100% effective.
All the brake pads that Unique is using now are the Poly Matrix pads.

Rick

dmiller
July 30th, 2004, 11:16 AM
if one did not seat the pads as you describe, then you need new pads? is it already too late to seat the pads if I have 1100 miles on car, with few if any hard braking experiences.

thanks

doug

eliminator
July 30th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Doug,

I dont know, my car had 1800 miles on it, but I had oil/grease on the R/F pads. So I changed the pads on the front of the car and seated them correctly. You could try it to see if it would help.

Rick

ralphscott
July 30th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Doug, I didn't do as Rick has done with the original brakes I got with the car and they work fine. That said I have ordered a the bigger brake set like the ones Rick has 'cause even with the bias adjusted I still don't get that strong stopping feeling without standing on the pedal. Guess power brakes has spoiled me!!:D I have 4700 miles on Lil' Cobra.

Ralph

dmiller
July 31st, 2004, 11:53 AM
i tried the suggested seating procedure, and i think it helped. i made several stops from slow speed until i smelled the brakes, about 6-8 stops i think, then drove without braking until i was sure all was cool again. i think the brakes are more sensitive and better now. thank you, Rick.

doug