PDA

View Full Version : Header Gasket

Gerry
April 18th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Could anyone please let me know if it is typical or necessary to trim the header gasket prior to installation. I have a 427 FE and purchased the gasket (Mr Gasket #252) from Unique when I picked up the car. I therefore assume it is the correct gasket, however some of the holes won't line up without some minor modifications, and quite a bit of the gasket is visible after installation. Also, please let me know if I should be using any sealant (i.e. copper hi-temperature RTV silicon), or is the gasket alone sufficient? Finally, I picked up some 3/8x0.750 stainless ARP header bolts. Is 0.750 inches long enough?

Thanks,
Gerry

pgermond
April 18th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Gerry,

There have been recent discussion on this topic, which should answer your questions. If they don't try asking again.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=578

http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=555

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

homer
April 18th, 2004, 07:16 AM
I had to replace a blown felpro gasket recenty -- I replaced it with metal gasket with high temp rtv sealant on both the head and the header -- not leaks -- the old gasket had cracked and blown out

Gerry
April 18th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Thank you all for the prompt replies. I will apply copper high-temperature RTV silicone to the head and the header flange before installing the gasket. Do you recommend trimming the gasket to precisely fit the header flange, or use it as is?

Regards,
Gerry

pgermond
April 18th, 2004, 12:03 PM
If it were me, I would trim it.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Tony Radford
April 19th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Gerry, the gasket you purchased should conform to a standard exhaust port configuration. If your heads have been ported, you will need to trim the gaskets to prevent obstruction of exhaust flow. I also purchased copper gaskets to replace two blown paper ones. I had to remove so much copper due to the porting on my TFS heads, they looked like completely different animals. I also used a good bead of RTV gasket sealer.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.